Southwest 737-300 Emergency Landing After Fuselage Tears Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwest 737-300 Emergency Landing After Fuselage Tears Open

YUMA, Ariz. – Passengers say a six-foot hole that ripped open in the fuselage caused a rapid decompression on a Southwest Airlines 737 Friday.

Flight 812 from Phoenix to Sacramento had to be diverted to Yuma, Ariz. It landed safely at Yuma Marine Corps Air Station/International Airport at 4:07 p.m. Friday.

Looks like another Aloha Flight 243 in the making.....!!

anyone remember Aloha 243?

A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Aloha 243 was the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Of course comments on various sites are already trying to say it was terrorism. I just love these dolts who think every time an airliner has some kind of event, it just has to be terrorism.

Comment

Second time one of their -300s becomes involved in this. I guess they'll have to rename it "The Sunroof Two"
        [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Well there's no question the -300s are aging but they're not that old. This will put some extra attention on metal fatigue again.

Comment

Southwest Airlines Flight 812, from Phoenix-Sky Harbor International Airport, AZ (PHX) to Sacramento International Airport, CA (SMF), diverted to Yuma International Airport, AZ (YUM) afte...

14 years old.
            "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

WN grounds 737s for inspections
              what ever happens......happens

Comment

With body panels ripping off, my first thought went to this. Is this really safe/FAA approved body work ?

[photoid=6240832]

Comment

............The Boeing 737 lost cabin pressure after the hole developed Friday, prompting frightened passengers to grope for oxygen masks as the plane made a terrifying but controlled descent............
                  More media hype. To me it would have been "terrifying" if the pilot had not made a quick descent.

-----------------

In post number 2 above it appears that the person may be touching a longeron or frame. This means the subsequent examination will have to account for any relevant contamination of fracture surfaces.

Comment

People passing out does not sound like hype since they were at altitude. If you were in the can or something?
                    Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by saupatel View Post
                      With body panels ripping off, my first thought went to this. Is this really safe/FAA approved body work ?

[photoid=6240832]
                      Safe or FAA approved? Apparently, current FAA approval requires only a specified amount of palm greasing.

Southwest Airlines is on my no-fly list.

Comment

This thing is starting to sound like the "Noo-Skool" version of the de Havilland DH 106 Comet, with the tin can effect.

Time to start swimming pool tests on them?
                        Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

Southwest Airlines is on my no-fly list.
                          Oh drats.

Comment

Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
                            People passing out does not sound like hype since they were at altitude. If you were in the can or something?
                            I meant the fast descent. Not the rest.

Also I saw some other photos and now do not know what it was the person was touching (Post #2(.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                              .............Southwest Airlines is on my no-fly list.

Better add American and a couple more airlines to your no-fly list.
                              This (skin rupture) happened last year on a couple of 757s (one flown by an AA) and I recall it happening on other airlines and aircraft types.

Comment

Working...
                              X