Qantas A380 Engine Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video on Youtube as well:

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Comment

Good coverage here: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1225948047085

Looks like their counting out bird strike already.
      Yet another AD.com convert!

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas Fast View Post
        More pictures
        How close did that come to a fuel tank?!

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
          How close did that come to a fuel tank?!
          Through. (looks like)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

My guess is if it was through a fuel tank we'd have known a lot more about it. There are a lot of non-fuel related areas on the forward side of the wing, including in some aircraft dry-bays for this very reason.

I have heard that where it happened was right over a volcano that is currently erupting. That would be my guess why it occured. If this is the case the problem is why are planes not being diverted around erupting volcano's?
            What a complete load of crap.

No volcano there, no eruption, no volcano related damage.

Comment

didn't they use that self sealing stuff for the fuel tanks?

Comment

The indonesia police found some parts in Indonesia..!!!
                Take a look at picture number 9, looks like some parts from the rudder..

Qantas, Australia's national airline, grounded its Airbus A380 fleet indefinitely after one of its planes suffered a midair engine failure on Thursday.
                A Former Airdisaster.Com Forum (senior member)....

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T1
                  Indonesia is all around Singapore, which sits at the southern tip of Malaysia, that debris is along the flight path, no biggie there.

the piece looks to be to be the trailing edge of the missing cowling that came off No. 2. that most definitely is not rudder.

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
                    My guess is if it was through a fuel tank we'd have known a lot more about it. There are a lot of non-fuel related areas on the forward side of the wing, including in some aircraft dry-bays for this very reason.
                    This diagram is more accurate, direct from Airbus. Looks like it came damn close though.

Comment

Originally posted by AVION1 View Post

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T1
                      The gallery link under "related coverage" on maweatly's link show plenty of bits being recovered in Indonesia, and as someone pointed out it is to be expected that debris was found in Indo... debris in Singapore would have been like a precision bombing run. Well not quite, but you get the idea.

Originally posted by mawheatley View Post
                      Last edited by Spectator; 2010-11-04, 15:25. Reason: more on indo

Comment

Originally posted by yeti View Post
                        Sounds like it was a contained failure NOT uncontained. An uncontained failure would mean that debris would have exploded out of the engine casing sideways and caused failure to the adjacent structures. The debris looks like it came out of the rear of the engine. Other damage at the rear looks to be caused by heat.

Australia's Qantas grounds its Airbus A380 jets, and Singapore Airlines delays flights, after a Qantas superjumbo makes an emergency landing.

Looks like a very big worry for Rolls-Royce though. There were no reports of bird strikes but it's very early.
                        OK, I'm going to have to eat my hat now....this is me eating my hat...
                        It looks like the failure was not contained as there is damage on the wing:
                        A passenger's mobile phone footage shows the damage to the wing of Qantas flight QF32, which was forced to make an emergency landing in Singapore shortly after take-off.

So this looks like a doublewhammyy for RR at the moment. Catastrophic engine failure which was uncontained. Thats not good for a new engine type.
                        Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms

Comment

That was the first reaction when a crash was announced. That logo is usually or rudder of fuselage.

In the case of a 380 the rudder logo would dwarf any people; it is from the failed nacelle.

Is the engine nacelle made of aluminum alloy or composite. My first impression is that it has the same appearance as a beer can tossed in the fire. Looking at the photos however, the color of what I think is the nacelle is a blackish almost carbon fiber colored material. They would probably burn the same?
                          Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

If the US NTSB defines "contained" as staying in the engine and exiting the tailpipe with no immediate flight risk.

This is a "dance between the raindrops" scenario?

Was it an immediate flight risk? With "whatever it is" exiting the tailpipe is chewing up the tailpipe and then starting to eat at the nacelle is a bit too close for me.

Is this another case of technology and definitions chasing each other across a time warp? The tailpipe of the 380 is pretty short and does not extend very far from even mid point of the wing does it?

Now according to the video, the hole in the wing is getting larger. Now this is an Airbus and in a Boeing that would be an .. where is Evan to explain how the hole in an Airbus wing is a simple aerodynamic phenomena while in a Boeing it would present clear and present danger.

Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

Similar things have happened before like the 1980 and 1987 LOT crashes and 1989 United crash that were fatal cause was the engine turbine exploiting and disabling the planes even QANTAS not to long ago in LAX had a similar problem with the 747. The plane took off and the low pressure turbine exploded!

Comment

Working...
                              X