This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polish President and wife killed in Tu-154 crash

Very sad news but the Tu-154-M has made more victims.
    This time it was the official presidential Tu-154-M that crashed near Smolensk airport in Western Russia killing the president, his wife, the governor of the Polish national bank and almost 90 people in total. More recent info even speak of around 130 victims. Cynically enough the plane was in Russia for events related to the Katyn massacre.

I am sure more details will become available as more news becomes available.
    RIP to those who were on board.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8612825.stm
    Last edited by Geebee; 2010-04-10, 08:18. Reason: correction on aircraft type and number of victims

TVN (a Polish tv channel) just stated that this was the 4th attempted approach in fog and that ATC had suggested diversions to Minsk airport because of the weather.

Comment

Wow. The presidential family doesn't travel on its own plane. How does that help with security?

Comment

this is a sad day for poland, with a good chunk of the government taken away, RIP to all those that perished

yes i am a boeing fan, and i know thats a airbus, haha

Comment

that looks very bad from the CNN video:
          Thousands gathered outside Warsaw's presidential palace on Saturday evening to lay flowers and light candles in honor of Polish President Lech Kaczynski, who was killed in a plane crash in western Russia earlier in the day.

RIP and my condolence for all family, relatives and polish citizens!

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
            Wow. The presidential family doesn't travel on its own plane.
            How did you arrive at that conclusion? It was a government, presidential plane. Sort of a local equivalent of Air Force One.

Comment

Very sad news. A horrible crash with so many lost. Seems to be CFT.

Callsign was PLF101 so the a/c was likely to be serial 101.

RIP.
              “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Made in 1990, one of two Tu-154 in the Polish AF.
                "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_K View Post
                  How did you arrive at that conclusion? It was a government, presidential plane. Sort of a local equivalent of Air Force One.
                  With 132 passengers? Who were all the rest, media?

Comment

Originally posted by EconomyClass View Post
                    With 132 passengers? Who were all the rest, media?
                    88, possibly 89 on board. Members of parliament, other government officials, representatives of armed forces, church, combatants.

Comment

I think the Polish parlament should buy some of the old LOT B767s.
                      "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Geebee View Post
                        TVN (a Polish tv channel) just stated that this was the 4th attempted approach in fog and that ATC had suggested diversions to Minsk airport because of the weather.
                        Has this been confirmed?

Comment

Originally posted by Alessandro View Post
                          I think the Polish parlament should buy some of the old LOT B767s.
                          If it is true that the crew made 3 or 4 approaches in bad weather, what difference does the aircraft type make ? If it is indeed true, you can maybe understand the pressure on a flightcrew to deliver its VIP passengers to an important and (for the Poles) highly resonant event, even if you can't excuse it. What incredible irony that a senior Polish group of people should lose their lives near Katyn.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                            What incredible irony that a senior Polish group of people should lose their lives near Katyn.
                            Even worse: according to german TV-news [ http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/kaczynski114.html ] there were relatives of the Katyn massacre [info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_massacre ] on board who were meant to take part at the memorial in Katyn. Now they also died.

Comment

I was admiring the beauty of that aircraft only the other week, and it deeply confuses me that something so big and beautiful and the people it carries can suddenly just simply cease to exist. Very, very sad indeed. May those lost rest in peace.
                              Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X