Page 1 of 116 123 11 51 101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 2307

Thread: Polish President and wife killed in Tu-154 crash

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    96

    Default Polish President and wife killed in Tu-154 crash

    Very sad news but the Tu-154-M has made more victims.
    This time it was the official presidential Tu-154-M that crashed near Smolensk airport in Western Russia killing the president, his wife, the governor of the Polish national bank and almost 90 people in total. More recent info even speak of around 130 victims. Cynically enough the plane was in Russia for events related to the Katyn massacre.

    I am sure more details will become available as more news becomes available.
    RIP to those who were on board.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8612825.stm
    Last edited by Geebee; 04-10-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: correction on aircraft type and number of victims

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Warsaw, Poland
    Posts
    96

    Default

    TVN (a Polish tv channel) just stated that this was the 4th attempted approach in fog and that ATC had suggested diversions to Minsk airport because of the weather.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,403

    Default

    Wow. The presidential family doesn't travel on its own plane. How does that help with security?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    344

    Default

    this is a sad day for poland, with a good chunk of the government taken away, RIP to all those that perished

    yes i am a boeing fan, and i know thats a airbus, haha

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    111

    Default

    that looks very bad from the CNN video:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/eu...ex.html?hpt=T1


    RIP and my condolence for all family, relatives and polish citizens!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EconomyClass View Post
    Wow. The presidential family doesn't travel on its own plane.
    How did you arrive at that conclusion? It was a government, presidential plane. Sort of a local equivalent of Air Force One.

  7. #7
    Dutch ....... ErwinS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    EHAM/SPL
    Posts
    3,379

    Default

    Very sad news. A horrible crash with so many lost. Seems to be CFT.

    Callsign was PLF101 so the a/c was likely to be serial 101.

    RIP.
    “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

    Erwin


  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Made in 1990, one of two Tu-154 in the Polish AF.
    "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_K View Post
    How did you arrive at that conclusion? It was a government, presidential plane. Sort of a local equivalent of Air Force One.
    With 132 passengers? Who were all the rest, media?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EconomyClass View Post
    With 132 passengers? Who were all the rest, media?
    88, possibly 89 on board. Members of parliament, other government officials, representatives of armed forces, church, combatants.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    I think the Polish parlament should buy some of the old LOT B767s.
    "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geebee View Post
    TVN (a Polish tv channel) just stated that this was the 4th attempted approach in fog and that ATC had suggested diversions to Minsk airport because of the weather.
    Has this been confirmed?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    I think the Polish parlament should buy some of the old LOT B767s.
    If it is true that the crew made 3 or 4 approaches in bad weather, what difference does the aircraft type make ? If it is indeed true, you can maybe understand the pressure on a flightcrew to deliver its VIP passengers to an important and (for the Poles) highly resonant event, even if you can't excuse it. What incredible irony that a senior Polish group of people should lose their lives near Katyn.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HalcyonDays View Post
    What incredible irony that a senior Polish group of people should lose their lives near Katyn.
    Even worse: according to german TV-news [ http://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/kaczynski114.html ] there were relatives of the Katyn massacre [info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_massacre ] on board who were meant to take part at the memorial in Katyn. Now they also died.

  15. #15
    Senior Member PMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Bradford, UK
    Posts
    2,331

    Default

    I was admiring the beauty of that aircraft only the other week, and it deeply confuses me that something so big and beautiful and the people it carries can suddenly just simply cease to exist. Very, very sad indeed. May those lost rest in peace.
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

    My images on Flickr

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HalcyonDays View Post
    If it is true that the crew made 3 or 4 approaches in bad weather, what difference does the aircraft type make ? If it is indeed true, you can maybe understand the pressure on a flightcrew to deliver its VIP passengers to an important and (for the Poles) highly resonant event, even if you can't excuse it. What incredible irony that a senior Polish group of people should lose their lives near Katyn.
    As we both know the Tu-154 isn´t a bad aircraft, but now it´s impossible to fly it as VIP
    plane in Poland. I flew it myself on the Warszaw-Moscow leg during summer 2004.
    I think it was on the 4th landingattempt that it crashed, strange co-indence that the Tu-204 crashed recently manner and all onboard survived in Moscow, even though only crew onboard.
    The B767 has a good safety record, most has been involved with evil intent.
    "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

  17. #17
    JPElite Member! MoBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gdynia, Poland
    Posts
    76

    Unhappy

    This is very sad day for me and other Poles
    Tu154M had not so long ago serious modernisation worth 70 million $, but in confrontation with heavy fog and poor systems at russian military airport, something went wrong ;-(
    RIP president and wife, politics, veterans, clerics, commanders, press and crew of that flight ;-(
    I'm shocked and crying, everyone of those people were very good and important to us...
    <CENTER><SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript' SRC='http://www.jetphotos.net/jp_forum_sign.php?photogid=39413' TYPE='text/javascript'></SCRIPT></CENTER>

  18. #18
    Senior Member Jan-Jasinski's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    CYOW
    Posts
    1,105

    Default

    Just saw this, terrible for me as well as I am Polish.... I remember seeing this Tupelov 154 in 2007 on the ramp. Very sad..

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MoBL View Post
    This is very sad day for me and other Poles
    Tu154M had not so long ago serious modernisation worth 70 million $, but in confrontation with heavy fog and poor systems at russian military airport, something went wrong ;-(
    RIP president and wife, politics, veterans, clerics, commanders, press and crew of that flight ;-(
    I'm shocked and crying, everyone of those people were very good and important to us...
    Sounds like a lot for 2 airplanes?
    "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Tunisia
    Posts
    30

    Default

    So damn terrible... Some serious actions should be taken against this tupolev 154, it took enough lives this year already.

    All of my condolences to the polish people...
    May all who died rest in peace

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •