Peter Burkill BA 38 Captain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Burkill BA 38 Captain

Talks about what happened and why he made the decisions he did. Interesting parallel to the Sullenberger story.

Really amazing. I mean, the timing of everything was unreal, had any of the sequence of events happened just seconds earlier the result would have been markedly different...

Comment

The anti-Sullenberger story. Is he still looking for a job?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
        The anti-Sullenberger story. Is he still looking for a job?
        Had'nt he already retired due to the Korean Air kick?

Comment

What a great guy. Very handsome, too! Shame on British Airways. The flight crew's actions saved the lives of hundreds, maybe thousands if it crashed into a populated area. They make sure that doesn't happen, nobody dies, and the captain is vilified and must defend himself on a daily basis? Bullshit!
          Last edited by Myndee; 2010-04-08, 09:41. Reason: typo
          I do work for a domestic US airline, and it should be noted that I do not represent such airline, or any airline. My opinions are mine alone, and aren't reflective of anything but my own knowledge, or what I am trying to learn. At no time will I discuss my specific airline, internal policies, or any such info.

Comment

Burkill... rest of the story... Podcast

A very detailed description of the accident from the pilot's perspective. fficeffice" />>>
            >>
            Peter Burkill was captain of British Airways Flight 38, a Boeing 777 with 152 aboard, when it suffered an uncommanded dual engine rollback and crashed short of the runway at Heathrow on January 17, 2008. This is what he experienced, in his words. >>
            >>
            Part 1 the crash…>>
            http://www.avweb.com/podcast/podcast/AudioPodcast_CaptainPeterBurkill_BritishAirways_HeathrowCrash_202246-1.html?kw=FollowUpPodcast>>
            >>
            Part 2 the aftermath (dammed by faint/no praise)>>
            http://www.avweb.com/podcast/podcast/AudioPodcast_CaptainPeterBurkill_BritishAirways_HeathrowCrash_Aftermath_202270-1.html?kw=AVwebAudio>>
            >>
            NOTE: Burkill's "post crash experiences" may have indirectly affected Sullenberger's "post-crash experiences" [crash of US Air 1549 in the Hudson river]... >>
            NOTE: during a couple of mishaps I worked, there were under-currents of serious finger-pointing and witch-hunting... >>

Comment

So he got harassed and ridiculed for not making a mayday call and then the evacuation call. I do realize there are certain procedures to follow but his actions saved lives and he was not even recognized for it. That stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by saupatel View Post
                So he got harassed and ridiculed for not making a mayday call and then the evacuation call. I do realize there are certain procedures to follow but his actions saved lives and he was not even recognized for it. That stinks.

I think he did a great job. When the airplane under you just quits at 700' you don't have a lot of options.

Comment

By the way (and given the activity in the "stall" thread), the FO, who was the guy actually flying the plane, did a great flying which included a correct reaction to the stickshaker, twice.

It takes a pair of big... courage... (and clarity of mind) to react to a stickshaker by LOWERING THE NOSE when you know you are not going to reach to the runway, and you are fighting trying to reach at least over the aiport fence. The temptation to pull up to stretch the glide must have been huge, even if rationally it would be deducted that that would have only worsened the glide.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
                  X