No announcement yet.

Air France 447 - On topic only!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because you guys are rambling off topic again...

Comment

... are we? Oops... Sorry.

Comment

Air France's insurance company said on Friday it will appeal a Brazilian court's ruling for the airline company to pay $1.16 million in compensation to the family of a victim of a fatal crash last year.
        French insurance company Axa (AXAF.PA) said in a statement it did not accept Thursday's ruling as a precedent because compensation should be decided by a committee set up after the crash by Brazil's government, associations of victims' families and insurers. That committee agreed to define the criteria for fair compensation for the families.

Wow, at that rate, the insurance company could be on the hook for hundreds of millions. Of course, natural disasters run to billions, so this is a more modest tab. But I could see the premiums taking a jump after such a payout.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
          Because you guys are rambling off topic again...

LOL...I might have put it a bit more delicately than that. The reclearance discussion swamped the last thread, and now the fuel topic is following suit. It doesn't bother me that you all are talking about it...I just don't understand all of the graphs and charts. I feel like I am in math class.
          I might be wrong, but the fuel speculation might fit in better on the reclearance thread.
          I'm not the topic Goddess or anything, so I guess just talk about whatever fits. If you were to ask me what my favorite topics were, I would probably say the discussion about the CBs and the FBW conversations.
          I'm not picky though so let's just keep forging ahead.

Why did they change the recovery mission from February to March? It's almos the end of March. Have they started? Is there a webpage documenting progress? Photos? Anything?
          I do work for a domestic US airline, and it should be noted that I do not represent such airline, or any airline. My opinions are mine alone, and aren't reflective of anything but my own knowledge, or what I am trying to learn. At no time will I discuss my specific airline, internal policies, or any such info.

Comment

Well - since I haven't been following all 165 pages of the old chat, I have no idea what has already been discussed. I joined this thread when the topic was on fuel loaded on AF447 and the possibility for diversions around severe weather that was suspected of bringing the plane down.
            As far as I am concerned, I am quite convinced that fuel and flight planning was not a factor in what happened to AF447, so switching the general discussion about fuel and flight planning to a different chat worked nicely for me but now it seems that everybody is discussing AF447 there and there is not a real topic here anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by Myndee View Post
              Why did they change the recovery mission from February to March? It's almos the end of March. Have they started? Is there a webpage documenting progress? Photos? Anything?
              You can keep updated here

Comment

Wow. They have their work cut out for them. They have some great help though, so hopefully they can find the wreckage. I guess it is best not to get too hopeful because the plane is most likely in an underground mountain range.

Do you think the recorders will yield salvagable data if found so much later after being submerged?
                I do work for a domestic US airline, and it should be noted that I do not represent such airline, or any airline. My opinions are mine alone, and aren't reflective of anything but my own knowledge, or what I am trying to learn. At no time will I discuss my specific airline, internal policies, or any such info.

Comment

Originally posted by Myndee View Post
                  Do you think the recorders will yield salvagable data if found so much later after being submerged?
                  Likely. Availability of data seems to be more closely correlated to how the system (sensors, wiring, recorders, power source, etc.) was working up to the crash than to the post-crash situation.

Sometimes recorders were retrived intact immediatly after the crash, to find no or poor quality data, and some times valuable data was obtained from recorders retrived from the bottom of the sea years after the crash.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

You'll notice AF459 takes the diversion I was suggesting. Is there any way to know what they encountered, to obtain the flight plan and fuel order for that flight, or to know if it made destination without a fuel stop?

Comment

Interesting that this has evolved in the way I thought was the way it would go immediately.

BEA investigators, who admit to having experienced a high level of stress in their effort to understand how Air France Flight 447 crashed into the Atlantic Ocean on June 1, 2009, now hang their hopes on an array of machines and experts that reached the search area in the middle of the ocean between Brazil and Africa on April 2.

Chief investigator Alain Bouillard did not hide the fact, when presenting an interim report in December, that determining a cause for the fatal accident would prove “very complicated” without finding the Airbus A330-200’s wreckage and flight recorders. Since then, however, the mood has turned upbeat. The French-led team, which has hired hardware and skills from several countries, believes it has a “great chance,” as BEA director Jean-Paul Troadec put it, to find the wreckage. The search area in this third effort covers about 770 square miles, about one-tenth the size of the previous search area.

Oceanographers studied local drift and luck assisted them: fishermen had laid buoys at the time of the crash, in the same area, lending valuable help in computing a new search area. The effort has faced some administrative delays, however, associated with the U.S. Navy’s contribution of one trailing sonar and one remotely operated vehicle (ROV). In addition, three torpedo-shaped autonomous vehicles carry sonars. Geologists will help read the sonar images of the hilly seabed in the search area. The BEA estimates the team will cover the entire area in two weeks.

The search team will use the two ROVs to confirm whether something discovered on the seabed is actually the hoped-for wreckage. The ROVs also feature manipulators, arms that can seize objects or use tools. Just before launching this third phase of research from Recife, Brazil, Troadec emphasized that the pieces of hardware aboard the two ships are “redundant and complementary.” For example, each autonomous sonar has a narrower scope but greater precision than the trailing one.

All 228 occupants of Air France Flight 447 from Rio de Janeiro to Paris died in the crash. The BEA’s early focus centered on the airplane’s pitot tubes, suspected of malfunctioning and indicating a wrong airspeed. Bouillard, however, has long insisted that other factors must also have contributed to the catastrophe.

Despite his optimism, Bouillard will now need luck. Past experience shows that data can be retrieved from flight recorders after weeks spent in water, he said. This time, Flight 447’s “black boxes” will have been submerged for 10 months at least.

Comment

Its now April 20, no updates on the search, scoured the web no news! any links of current progress, thks..

Comment

Originally posted by dash88 View Post
                          Its now April 20, no updates on the search, scoured the web no news! any links of current progress, thks..
                          Here is the April 14 update on the search

Comment

They have a tough job. I guess they have enough evidence to suggest that the plane is in that general area that they are searching. Needle in a haystack, indeed. The plane could have gone any direction after the last known position.

It will be a miracle if they find AF447. Miracles can happen...

Comment

A new update from BEA:

The BEA believes that it is in fact still possible to localize the airplane wreckage in or near the zone that has just been explored. It is thus considered appropriate to use the equipment that has already been mobilized and is available to continue the operations as quickly as possible.
                              Read more: http://www.bea.aero/en/enquetes/flig...e04may2010.php

Comment

It's hard to believe but there's a online press info that the black boxes of AF 447 were localized!

http://www.dnews.de/nachrichten/pano...-geortet-.html [ 6 Mai 2010 08:50 MEST ]

Wow!

Let's hope that they were really localized, will be retrievable and even readable - to give us more insight to what had happened in this accident and how to prevent in future.

Comment

Working...
                                X