X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [REAL] Extreme Low Approach Frankfurt

I saw this video on IVAO forum
    Low Approach at Frankfurt/Main, Runway 25L with a Piper Archer

The camera was shaking that much. And they allowed to do that at Frankfurt?

This is so cool!

Welcome on board!!!!

Originally posted by Andreas Fast View Post
    And they allowed to do that at Frankfurt?
    Why not?
    Tanner Johnson - Owner
    twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J View Post
      Why not?
      I guess you didn't watch the part where they buzzed a cargo area and control tower at an unsafe altitude?

Comment

What's unsafe about it?

He had to have been in contact with ATC therefore they gave him those instructions, probably a vector for traffic departing or arriving since there has to be a certain distance/angle.

I've been flying the pattern at KCAK when told after a touch and go to turn downwind for a crossing runway that took me directly over their terminal and tower just like that. Not really unsafe, especially when chances are ATC told him to do that.
        Tanner Johnson - Owner
        twenty53 Photography

Comment

What's unsafe about it?

He had to have been in contact with ATC therefore they gave him those instructions, probably a vector for traffic departing or arriving since there has to be a certain distance/angle.

I've been flying the pattern at KCAK when told after a touch and go to turn downwind for a crossing runway that took me directly over their terminal and tower just like that. Not really unsafe, especially when chances are ATC told him to do that.
          I highly disagree....dude should have his licenses (if he has one) taken away

On a side note...I hate CAK...those runways and I simply don't get along. I have probably lowered the airport elevation at least 15 feet since I started flying there
          Last edited by screaming_emu; 2009-03-13, 03:44.

Comment

My point being, I find it hard to believe the controllers didn't know this was happening at such a large airport such as Frankfurt. Once again, no one knows what was really going on.

What's there not to like about CAK?! I mean, there is a 747SP there...even if it is owned by some crazy man.
            Tanner Johnson - Owner
            twenty53 Photography

Comment

Talking of Frankfurt...

...did you hear of the British Airways old hand pilot who was instructed, rather coldly and sharply, to proceed direct to stand XX.

On vacating the runway he paused for a few moments on the taxi way.

ATC immediately called him up and demanded to know why he was not proceeding directly as instructed ?

He replied, " Just looking up the taxiway route to and location of stand XX"

ATC responded sharply with " Why ? Have you not been to Frankfurt before ?"

"Oh, yes sir, just once before" came the reply..

" It was in 1944, we didn't land though, we just dropped a few things off and went back home !"

ATC apparently remained silent from then !!
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

My point being, I find it hard to believe the controllers didn't know this was happening at such a large airport such as Frankfurt. Once again, no one knows what was really going on.

What's there not to like about CAK?! I mean, there is a 747SP there...even if it is owned by some crazy man.
                I could understand the relatively low fly over of the cargo area if the tower asked for them to clear as soon as possible (even so it should have been higher) but it seems like they ended up flying right at the tower also, which I'm pretty sure the tower wouldn't have appreciated. It's always fun to do a steep bank turnout after a practice approach/touch and go if the tower gives you a heading to turn to, but I always make sure I have some altitude and airspeed before doing that, there is really no reason to do what they did besides trying to show off. These guys seem to be kind of asking for it.

Also, whoever made the video sucks at being a camera man.

Comment

When are people gonna learn that no matter how badass the maneuver you think you're doing is, from the ground it looks pretty lame when you're in a Piper Cherokee.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320 View Post
                    I could understand the relatively low fly over of the cargo area if the tower asked for them to clear as soon as possible (even so it should have been higher) but it seems like they ended up flying right at the tower also, which I'm pretty sure the tower wouldn't have appreciated. It's always fun to do a steep bank turnout after a practice approach/touch and go if the tower gives you a heading to turn to, but I always make sure I have some altitude and airspeed before doing that, there is really no reason to do what they did besides trying to show off. These guys seem to be kind of asking for it.

Also, whoever made the video sucks at being a camera man.
                    Yeah...even if tower "instructed" me to do so I'd tell them I'm unable. Pretty damn irresponsible. Brings me back to my point that even if you're only flying planes as a hobby, you should treat it like a profession.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu View Post
                      Yeah...even if tower "instructed" me to do so I'd tell them I'm unable.
                      Chuck Norris never responds to atc with "unable." Chuck Norris is never unable to do anything.

Comment

First off, we don't know how much the camera was zoomed, so we really don't know how low he was. But then this was a Cherokee, so he was going what, 60kts?

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu View Post
                          On a side note...I hate CAK...those runways and I simply don't get along. I have probably lowered the airport elevation at least 15 feet since I started flying there
                          I added the other 15 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                            Talking of Frankfurt...

...did you hear of the British Airways old hand pilot who was instructed, rather coldly and sharply, to proceed direct to stand XX.

On vacating the runway he paused for a few moments on the taxi way.

ATC immediately called him up and demanded to know why he was not proceeding directly as instructed ?

He replied, " Just looking up the taxiway route to and location of stand XX"

ATC responded sharply with " Why ? Have you not been to Frankfurt before ?"

"Oh, yes sir, just once before" came the reply..

" It was in 1944, we didn't land though, we just dropped a few things off and went back home !"

ATC apparently remained silent from then !!
                            That joke is as old as Don Moore.

Comment

I drilled 15 feet into YOUR MOM last night! BURN!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X