Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-18 crashes into San Diego neighborhood

Live on CNN rite now

Los Angeles Times blogs that were published between 2006 and 2013.

there is suppose to be some video from a witness...

F-18 down in San Diego

Pilot ejected but the plane hit two houses. Hopefully no one on the ground was killed.
    A grandmother, mother and her child died when a military fighter jet crashed into a house in San Diego Monday, igniting a huge fireball, CNN's San Diego affiliates and the San Diego Union Tribune are reporting.

Comment

Latest is 3 on the ground are confirmed dead, a 4th person is missing. I'm glad the pilot was able to get out at least, RIP to those on the ground.
      sigpic
      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

3 dead in the homes according to news reports.

Was landing at the airbase used for the 'Top Gun' movie.

The crippled F/A-18D Hornet from the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln was trying to land at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. Authorities say three people were killed.

ohn Kreischer, 62, was returning home from taking pictures at La Jolla Cove when he spotted the plane only 300 to 500 feet in the sky shortly before noon.

"It was mushing through the air," Kreischer said. "It was chugging along with what seemed like one engine. Then I heard a roar of engine and all of a sudden, whoop, dead silence.

"This guy could have turned it around and put it in the ocean. He was never going to make it to Miramar."
        Yeah, like this guy really knew what the pilot was in for when he lost one engine. Sad all the same though.

Comment

Condense threads, Condense!
          My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Comment

Don't you know witnesses are experts at everything.
              My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

I have had to make emergency landings twice in the last 42 years.

In one case I had a choice of where to park the bird. A nice stretch of unfinished freeway proved to be the best choice. Having altitude gave me several options. As altitude decreased, so did the options.

In the other, the event occurred at 100 feet, the only choice was to park it straight ahead. Fortunately the 4000 foot runway I was taking off from was almost long enough to let me do it. I came to a stop in the overrun with no airframe damage.

Second guessing the pilot is not something I care to engage. The pilot made a choice and went with it. Only he knows what other choices were available.

The military will conduct an investigation. The outcome will determine if the pilot had other choices that could have led to a better outcome.
                Don
                Standard practice for managers around the world:
                Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Kinda strange both engines would fail at almost the same time. Birdstrike maybe?

Comment

The only things common between the two engines are:
                    1. Air
                    2. Fuel
                    Anything else requires a lot of coincidence.
                    Don
                    Standard practice for managers around the world:
                    Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Have you guys heard the comments from the Husband/Father of the 3 that were killed?

CNN

Please pray for him not to suffer from this accident," a distraught Dong Yun Yoon told reporters gathered near the site of Monday's crash of an F/A-18D jet in San Diego's University City community.

"He is one of our treasures for the country," Yoon said in accented English punctuated by long pauses while he tried to maintain his composure.

"I don't blame him. I don't have any hard feelings. I know he did everything he could," said Yoon, flanked by members of San Diego's Korean community, relatives and members from the family's church.

Truely amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Gun View Post
                        Have you guys heard the comments from the Husband/Father of the 3 that were killed?

CNN

Please pray for him not to suffer from this accident," a distraught Dong Yun Yoon told reporters gathered near the site of Monday's crash of an F/A-18D jet in San Diego's University City community.

"He is one of our treasures for the country," Yoon said in accented English punctuated by long pauses while he tried to maintain his composure.

"I don't blame him. I don't have any hard feelings. I know he did everything he could," said Yoon, flanked by members of San Diego's Korean community, relatives and members from the family's church.

Truely amazing!
                        Wow.

Comment

Yes a very compassionate statement from a person going through something i'm sure most of us couldn't comprehend.

Comment

Dewey, Cheatham and Howe

Until his lawyer proposes that $30 million settlement
                            ASMEL-IA 1978 A&P-IA 1965 First Aloft 1954 DC-4
                            Dad: B-24 Ploesti Self: U205A1 private ops Nam

Comment

Did anyone get a settlement out of PSA182?

Comment

Working...
                              X