This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the west coast !!!
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• WEST Coast?

I thought about Dhahran Airport, but that's not the westcoast.

Comment

• Looks like it's time to give a bit more information.

You are all probably looking at the pipeline that ran from the east coast of Saudi Arabia to Lebanon. That pipeline no longer operates.
        The one I am talking about runs from east to west and also carries natural gas. It was built by a Saudi Royal Commission and was completed in 1982.

I'm looking for the airport at the western end.

Comment

• Jubail Airport?

(mmmm, runway length doesn't fit your info )

Comment

• Not Jubail. The other end.

Comment

• Yanbu aka Prince Abdul Mohsin Bin Abdul Aziz Airport

Comment

• HOORAY....we have a winner.

T.E. Lawrence had a house here which is still in its original condition...
                In most other countries in the world, this building would be a major tourist attraction, but it’s not easy to be a tourist in Saudi Arabia.

The airport, until quite recently only handled internal flights which were stupidly cheap. In the early 90's you could fly 40 minutes to Jeddah and back for around £40. Us foreign workers always used to figure that it was cheap because Saudia used their crappiest oldest 737's with very new "wet behind the ears" pilots just out of training. This was in the days when Saidia weren't allowed into Europe on international unless there was a westerner on the flight deck.
                In the summer the approach and landing at Yanbu could be .... er ....."Interesting" !! Approaching over the desert in 140 degrees fahrenheit/60 degress centigrade with ground temperatures of up to 80 degrees centigrade meant that there was an awful lot of hot air rising causing an excessive float on final approach so pilots had to virtually "fly it into the ground" to overcome the rising air. This often meant a flapless approach or maybe a maximum 10 degree flap and then bang out the flaps and spoilers at the last few seconds. I well remember one landing in a 300 series 737 where we landed on the piano keys and only just stopped in the turning circle at the other end !! This with only 50 or so passengers on board. There were more than a few "mucky undies" after that landing.

I worked just up the road in the Royal Commission Hospital paramedic department. Part of our duties included overseeing the medical and rescue aspects of the annual certification exercise for Yanbu airport. At this time there were just 6 arrivals / departures during the day so the airfield staff didn't do a lot. They certainly didn't do a lot of training ! so we had three or four practice exercises to make sure they got it right on the day.
                Come the day of the first practice session and along comes Manny, one of the Philipino fire truck crew. Manny's job was part of a two man intervention crew with a foam hose.
                There's Manny proudly dressed in his aluminised fire hood, aluminised fire jacket, aluminised fire trousers.....and plastic flip flop shoes !!!
                "Manny, go put your bleeding boots on for Chrissake" Off goes Manny with a sheepish look on his face and returns with his boots on.....with the trousers tucked in to the boots !!
                So I get a bucket of water and throws it at him filling the boots with cold water. "Oh..thanks Mr Brian, that's much cooler" says Manny.
                "Manny...that's not water, that's burning jet fuel.....trousers OUTSIDE the boots please"

Working in Saudi was hard...but very often comical !

Anyway...over to you KGEG.........
                Last edited by brianw999; 2012-02-04, 11:08.

Comment

• Thanks for the story, it made me smile. And I learned some stuff too.

The first person to chime in can choose the next airport people need to guess.

Comment

• Open House folks, come on, lets have someone else have a go.

Comment

• May I have a go?

Comment

• My airport is served by Finnair.
                        It has a great spot very close to the runway.
                        The country in which the airport is located is served by blue trains.

Need more information?

Comment

• Is it actually Finnair aircraft that go here or is it one of the One World partners on a codeshare ?

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                            Is it actually Finnair aircraft that go here or is it one of the One World partners on a codeshare ?
                            Finnair's not the only airline serving the airport, but it is Finnair itself and not a oneWorld partner

The airport is served by red busses by the way

Comment

• Manchester Ringway, UK.
                              Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

• Nope! The airport is NOT located on an island!

Comment

Working...
                                X