JFK Mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFK Mess

Listening to ground today has been comical...largely due to the weather on the east coast today.

Some gems:

"Ground American 337 are we in your standby list for taxi?"

"Yep, you're number 80"

"80?"

"Yeah...80"

--

"Ground Delta xxx any chance you could move someone so we could head in, been waiting two and a half hours to get to the ramp"

"Ah...nope...not yet...and thats about normal today"

--

www.liveatc.net if any of you feel so inclined...

I did LGA-TEB-MVY-PSM this morning, it was storming pretty hard at around 0600, managed to get out ok, but there was quite the line waiting to take off.

Comment

This is entertaining. I certainly don't envy anyone working within 50 miles of that place tonight.

Comment

Look at that, solid line of yellow and red from South Carolina all the way to Maine!

Comment

Yesterday the QF108 taxied for several hours. Just as departure time came up after the storms had moved through an AA aircraft declared an emergency!

Comment

I was supposed to do EWR-STL on XE last night. Left home at 1 pm for a 730 flight only to find that Terminal A at EWR sucks both for spotters and pax. Of course the storms started at around 630 and our AC got stuck in LEX. We held out until our flight was canceled at around 11. CO automatically rebooked us for 10 AM today (through CLE) but it was pointless as we needed to be down there early and leave later that day.

BTW does anyone know why the Airtrain lists QF as serving EWR?

Comment

Just another day in paradise....I'm sure Tommy's got a bunch of excuses...but we all know JFK's a shit show.

Comment

Pfft, #80 for take-off, so what, that was standard at ATL before the 5th runway was opened .

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                  Pfft, #80 for take-off, so what, that was standard at ATL before the 5th runway was opened .

#80 for TAXI, with about 50 aircraft in the take-off queue

They had planes holding all the way down taxiway Charlie and 13R for 22R departure...

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
                    They had planes holding all the way down taxiway Charlie and 13R for 22R departure...
                    Fvck ! Okay, I take back my comment, ATL's got nothing on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Crism
                      Just another day in paradise....I'm sure Tommy's got a bunch of excuses...but we all know JFK's a shit show.
                      Ah first off Steven...why even bring my name up regarding delays at JFK? Why would I have excuses for WX delays? I'd love to see you keep your cool like the guys in that tower do when the $hit hits the fan there.

Please tell me how JFK is a "$hit show?" You make these statements and don't back them up with any fact at all? You have three large airports all within 10 miles of each other; you think it’s easy with the current technology the FAA provides to keep traffic moving? The WX here yesterday and this morning was terrible, its no surprise JFK was a mess.

I swear I'd love to take you out on the ramp and let the Tower and Port guys have a go at you with your statements about JFK, they’d tell you the real facts... I know these guys personally and have seen them in action. With the tools they have to work with they are the best in the biz and ANYONE who disagrees with that has no clue. Most ppl couldn't hold a candle to their level of professionalism, ingenuity and dedication....

Go look at the traffic patterns around JFK, LGA, and EWR and the amount of movement at any one moment. Besides having a Hub for CO and DAL the O and D Traffic into NY is the largest in the nation. The fact is the Metro area needs another airport within a reasonable distance to NYC. Until that happens or JFK gets another runway or the FAA decides move into the 21st century the delays are going to remain.
                      Last edited by tommyalf; 2008-07-24, 19:28.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyalf
                        Please tell me how JFK is a "$hit show?" You make these statements and don't back them up with any fact at all?
                        He goes to riddle...they don't need fact. Bonus points if you throw around words commonly used by frat boys like "bro" "shit show" and "dude"

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                          He goes to riddle...

All we need to know then. What a tool.

And I will agree that JFK's controllers are some of the best in the business, handling such a bizarre airport layout in the way they do is masterful. As one controller put it yesterday, overscheduling is what kills JFK when weather problems arise.

Comment

Working...
                          X