Whats up with this DC-10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leftseat86
    Thats what I thought. Thanks for the info. In any case that looks like a VERY early retraction.
    I agree.
    As a practical matter, only aircraft without gear doors that open while the gear cycles would benefit from retracting the gear as soon as the aircraft is airborne. Opening gear doors create more drag than does leaving the gear down and the doors closed.
    Don
    Standard practice for managers around the world:
    Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

dc10

has anyone else noticed the gear is already starting to retract

Comment

Originally posted by M25USER
        has anyone else noticed the gear is already starting to retract
        Have you noticed the posts before yours?
        Signatures are overrated

Comment

Hopefully this will clear a few things up

DC-10s have a dial-a-flap system, take-offs can be accomplished using 5 to 25 degrees of flap, the configuration (flaps) is depended on OAT, PA, Runway available, obstacles, GW and CG. Dialing a flap optimizes the take-off preformance. The DC-10 also has a fixed flap setting for take-offs, 15 and 22 degrees. This DC-10 was using 5 degrees.

The DC-10 has a take-off warning system that alerts us if the aircraft isn't in the proper take-off configuration. Flaps and slats must be in the take-off range, braking brake released, stab in take-off range and spoilers fully retracted.

The landing gear will start to retract as the main gear doors are opening. Nose and center gear doors are interconnected to the gear itself with rods.

However, with 6,000hr flying the "DC-10-30", I have no idea what happened there. My guess (only a guess because it happened to me, ending up pulling seat cushion out of my butt), cargo loads weight way off.

Comment

Originally posted by crazpony
            DC-10s have a dial-a-flap system, take-offs can be accomplished using 5 to 25 degrees of flap, the configuration (flaps) is depended on OAT, PA, Runway available, obstacles, GW and CG. Dialing a flap optimizes the take-off preformance. The DC-10 also has a fixed flap setting for take-offs, 15 and 22 degrees. This DC-10 was using 5 degrees.

The DC-10 has a take-off warning system that alerts us if the aircraft isn't in the proper take-off configuration. Flaps and slats must be in the take-off range, braking brake released, stab in take-off range and spoilers fully retracted.

The landing gear will start to retract as the main gear doors are opening. Nose and center gear doors are interconnected to the gear itself with rods.

However, with 6,000hr flying the "DC-10-30", I have no idea what happened there. My guess (only a guess because it happened to me, ending up pulling seat cushion out of my butt), cargo loads weight way off.
            Good to have a 6000hr DC-10 pilot.

Your guess describes an abnormal situation. Something that should not have happened. Other proposed that the pilot might have extended the take-off roll to gain more speed on ground. I proposed that no sane pilot would take that so far to intentional make the plane lift-off so close to the runway end, so it would be an abnormal situation again (either the pilot is not sane or he/she made something against his/her intentions).

My question is, can you imagine a normal & acceptable situation (even if unlikely) that would put a plane in that situation?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel

Your guess describes an abnormal situation. Something that should not have happened. Other proposed that the pilot might have extended the take-off roll to gain more speed on ground. I proposed that no sane pilot would take that so far to intentional make the plane lift-off so close to the runway end, so it would be an abnormal situation again (either the pilot is not sane or he/she made something against his/her intentions).

My question is, can you imagine a normal & acceptable situation (even if unlikely) that would put a plane in that situation?
              Gabriel,
              He told you exactly what he thought happened. No it wasn't supposed to be that close to the end of the runway. The numbers on the paper didn't match the actual weight.
              Don
              Standard practice for managers around the world:
              Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel

I proposed that no sane pilot would take that so far to intentional make the plane lift-off so close to the runway end, so it would be an abnormal situation again (either the pilot is not sane or he/she made something against his/her intentions).

You're correct, no sane pilot would intentionally hold an aircraft on the ground to gain speed. All take-off data is calculated on departure end thrush-hold crossing height (35 ft) or obstacle clearance. Holding the aircraft on the runway past rotate invalidates the data (crossing height and/or obstacle clearance). Obstacle clearance is base on v2+10 (all engines) or v2 (engine out)

During take-offs you have speed or altitude (obstacle clearance / crossing height), you can't have both.......................

Comment

Originally posted by Dmmoore
                  Gabriel,
                  He told you exactly what he thought happened. No it wasn't supposed to be that close to the end of the runway. The numbers on the paper didn't match the actual weight.
                  Yes, I know.
                  My question was about, regardles of what he thinks happened, if he can think of any NORMAL way to put the plane in that condition, even if he thinks that's not what happened.
                  You know by now I think there is no way for that to happen under normal conditions. But I thought it would be interesting to have the opinion of an experienced airliner pilot (specially if he says I'm right! ).

And thanks for your answer crazpony.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                  --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by crazpony
                    During take-offs you have speed or altitude (obstacle clearance / crossing height), you can't have both.......................
                    I'm not insinuating anything, just factual information: the first obstacle beyond the end of 31R is the VOR antenna about 800 metres from the threshold, then another 500 metres of flat field before the first low houses and trees. No obstacle or terrain higher that 100 metres for the next 10 miles.
                    another ADC refugee

Comment

Working...
                    X