Whats up with this DC-10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats up with this DC-10?

American crew playing russian roulette. This unexpected visitor performed an unforgettable takeoff from 31R. The sight took everyones breath away.. N450ML. McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30(F). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I thought this only happened to me in flight simulator while playing drunk.

"Flaps, we don't need no stinkin flaps bitch..."

Comment

"Flaps, we don't need no stinkin flaps bitch..."
      Precisely....that's what's up on this DC10....the bleedin' flaps !!

Bet there was a discussion in the bosses' office the next day.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I bet they saw the pics and vid of the IL-86 and tried to up their Russian counterparts.

Comment

Wouldn't an alarm go off in the cockpit indicating the plane wasn't in take off configuration? If this was some kind of stunt the pilot was pulling he really should be "spoken to."

Comment

Originally posted by tommyalf
            Wouldn't an alarm go off in the cockpit indicating the plane wasn't in take off configuration? If this was some kind of stunt the pilot was pulling he really should be "spoken to."
            Glad to see we're all experts on the DC-10 and piloting technique here....

...wait

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
              Glad to see we're all experts on the DC-10 and piloting technique here....

...wait
              I'm not, that's why I was asking.

Comment

I've flown on several DC8F flights that took off very close to the end of the runway just like this DC10. We checked and triple checked the amount of runway that was required given our weight, the temps and winds and off we would go. The first one in Managua Nicaragua scared the living daylights out of me and the others became a regular departure. There was no alarm in the cockpit on the 8's that squawked about the end of the runway, however one flight where the computer was squawking "terrain pull up" was nerve wracking.

Comment

A slats-only takeoff is an option on the DC-10, but it looks as though the flap are slightly down (as there's no noticeable upwards deflection on the inner aileron). My guess is it's within performance criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by tommyalf
                    I'm not, that's why I was asking.
                    My bad. I misread that as "those idiots took off without the flaps out" not an actual question about the DC-10. I'm not sure about the DC-10, but we get a config warning if we increase power past a certain setting without the aircraft ready for takeoff. In addition to that, which we must abort the takeoff for, before even taxiing onto the runway we check for a green advisory message on our 2nd EICAS display that says T/O Config OK.

Comment

They got it into the air, isn't that all that matters in the end

And if they don't have any pax on board to scare, and it uses the whole runway, who cares. Assuming that they could have even used a config that would have allowed them to take off in less room.

I'm not sure about the DC-10, but we get a config warning if we increase power past a certain setting without the aircraft ready for takeoff. In addition to that, which we must abort the takeoff for
                      That reminds me, a few years back I was watching an ERJ departing BDL. They increased thrust, started rolling for a few feet, then reduced power, kept rolling for a few seconds at low power then spooled back to takeoff power and departed.

Comment

Originally posted by thxcollins
                        A slats-only takeoff is an option on the DC-10, but it looks as though the flap are slightly down.
                        Appears to be a flaps 1 or flaps 2 setting, quite normal procedure if there is high ground around the airport and enough runway. It may require a longer ground roll, but with the higher speed/lower drag, climb rate will be much better. Looks like they made a well calculated rotation just before the piano keys (though no terrain to worry about at BUD).
                        another ADC refugee

Comment

Many takeoffs are predicated on second stage climb restrictions. As stated previously, a slats extended, zero flap T.O. requires a longer ground run but gives a better climb when airborne. It's not the normal configuration but it has it's uses.
                          Don
                          Standard practice for managers around the world:
                          Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

So this was "cool"?

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
                              So this was "cool"?
                              Very much so.

Comment

Working...
                              X