Clear All

• "Crew dragged co-pilot off jet at Shannon after mid-air scare"

Co-pilot's illness forces Air Canada jet to land

Always fun up here in Canada....
    My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
      Always fun up here in Canada....
      Pilots are human too, of course some of them have psychiatric issues, unfortunately some inevitably slip through the cracks.

While it is somewhat disturbing that an incident happened in the cockpit, it's hardly the first time.

To me, it is somewhat of a confidence booster that the pilot apparently recognize the symptoms and acted in a way that diffused the problem without making things worse.

It tells me that the policy in place that the pilot executed worked, at least this time.

The passengers, crew and aircraft suffered no injury. IMO, that's a blessing.

Comment

"Crew dragged co-pilot off jet at Shannon after mid-air scare"

This is one of the more bizarre stories I've read.

AC848 YYZ-LHR

"MORE than a hundred passengers aboard an Air Canada flight from Toronto to London were forced to divert to Shannon yesterday after the co-pilot suffered what appeared to be a nervous breakdown in mid-air."

Comment

That is truely scary. I am sure that he must have displayed some signs prior to this incident.
          He could have pulled an Egypt Air maneouver...
          The Bone.

Comment

Wow scary! I wouldn't want to be in that position.
            John Poshepny

If the Wright brother were alive today Wilbur would have to fire Orville to reduce costs.— Herb Kelleher, Southwest Airlines, 'USA Today,' 1994

Comment

Thank God that they were able to catch this over Ireland, and not over the Atlantic. This story could have progressed very differently, and it's truly great that we are not commenting 'RIP'. Anyway, I have to ask - for the pilots on here - I know that things are stressfull, but how do you guys deal with the stressors at work? Also, if you see that a collegue is dealing with alot of stress (so much so that it can incapicitate him/her) what can be done to help them? Are there anonymous repoting systems?
              Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Gees you can't trust the press. Air Canada is not a "state owned company".

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                  Air Canada is not a "state owned company".
                  Isn't Air Canada unionized ? In my Law class we were tought that it is, being a state owned company. But tbh I think the theacher was wrong...they always are lol

Comment

Originally posted by ATFS_Crash
                    Pilots are human too, of course some of them have psychiatric issues, unfortunately some inevitably slip through the cracks.

While it is somewhat disturbing that an incident happened in the cockpit, it's hardly the first time.

To me, it is somewhat of a confidence booster that the pilot apparently recognize the symptoms and acted in a way that diffused the problem without making things worse.

It tells me that the policy in place that the pilot executed worked, at least this time.

The passengers, crew and aircraft suffered no injury. IMO, that's a blessing.
                    I have to agree.
                    We accept engine failures as a fact of life but fail to give the same consideration to the human element. In this case the redundant "Human Element" occupying the cockpit corrected the problem. The system worked this time.

I lost a fine flight crew because the capt (pilot flying) suffered a heart attack on short final, the redundant "Human Element" didn't notice it in time, all died.
                    Don
                    Standard practice for managers around the world:
                    Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

INFO ITEM

As a housekeeping measure I merged the thread in the Safety forum with this one.
                      Don
                      Standard practice for managers around the world:
                      Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
                        Isn't Air Canada unionized ? In my Law class we were tought that it is, being a state owned company. But tbh I think the theacher was wrong...they always are lol
                        Unionized and state owned are vastly different Pat. General Electric and General Motors are unionized, but not state owned.

Comment

Oh ok I must have mixed some stuff up. I thought only state owned companies are unionized. Thanks Dale !

Comment

Originally posted by pkonowrocki
                            Oh ok I must have mixed some stuff up. I thought only state owned companies are unionized. Thanks Dale !
                            That's what you get when you drink before class.

-Chris

Comment

Was not the first in this position, and won't be the last.
                              Just one among many. Decades ago, a KLM DC.8 captain passed while the aircraft was on finals to Haneda. Safe landing was performed by the F/O.
                              Thanks for visiting
                              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                              *JetPhotos*
                              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                              X