Airbus delivers first A380, denies new delays; SQ unveils new interiors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbus delivers first A380, denies new delays; SQ unveils new interiors

TOULOUSE, France, Oct 15 (Reuters) - European planemaker Airbus sought to quash speculation of further delays to its A380 superjumbo on Monday as it prepared to hand over the first giant plane to Singapore Airlines (SIAL.SI: Quote, Profile, Research) after two years of setbacks.

Le Journal du Dimanche newspaper reported on Sunday that Airbus remained worried about deliveries and had launched a new set of measures last month to weed out any further delays.

"There are no delays; that is a misunderstanding," Airbus sales chief John Leahy told reporters at a ceremony to mark the long-awaited first delivery of the world's largest aircraft.

Asked if Airbus was reaffirming its 2008 delivery target of 13 aircraft, Leahy said, "That is our plan and we are on target. We have said it is a challenge, of course, but we are on track."

A foul-up over the installation of the 500 km of wiring on each of the double-decker A380 planes toppled Airbus management, pushed the planemaker into loss and put back Europe's biggest industrial project by two years, leading to 10,000 job cuts.

The first aircraft is being delivered to Singapore Airlines (SIAL.SI: Quote, Profile, Research) 18 months later than planned. It will enter service between Singapore and Sydney with a flight raising money for charity on Oct. 25. Full service will begin on Oct. 28.
    At Yahoo Finance, you get free stock quotes, up-to-date news, portfolio management resources, international market data, social interaction and mortgage rates that help you manage your financial life.

NEW YORK, Oct. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Singapore Airlines unveiled the luxurious cabin interior on its new Airbus A380. The cabin was revealed for the first time at the aircraft delivery in Toulouse, France.

ADVERTISEMENT
    The Singapore Airlines A380 is configured with 471 seats in three classes, with 12 Singapore Airlines Suites -- a cabin class beyond First -- on the main deck, 60 Business Class on the upper deck, and 399 Economy Class seats, across both decks. This new cabin design ensures that the A380 will deliver unprecedented comfort, space and luxury to Singapore Airlines' customers.

The design process began more than five years ago, when some of the carrier's most frequent travelers were invited to participate in workshops to help the airline understand what was most important to customers on a new aircraft.

Some of the new cabin products have already made their debut, to global acclaim, on Singapore Airlines' new Boeing 777-300ER long-haul aircraft.

Coupled with the service of Singapore Airlines' award-winning cabin crew, the A380's dramatically increased cabin size will provide customers in all three classes with a luxurious travel experience.
    Detailed seat infos can be found in the article, too much to copy into the forum.

heard on the news that Boeings 787 will have a 6 month delay - not what they would want, seemed that when Airbus announced delays, many of the "pro Boeing" brigade had a lot to chirp about, seems very quiet all of a sudden ??
    RobB

Comment

Even though I am pro Boeing, but not Anti-Airbus I just prefer Boeing, but I will say I am happy to see the A380 finally get delivered. Hopefully the rumor of the Delay will not be the case. Cheers to the Future of the A380.
      John Poshepny

If the Wright brother were alive today Wilbur would have to fire Orville to reduce costs.— Herb Kelleher, Southwest Airlines, 'USA Today,' 1994

Comment

Gotta love their suites!
        Imagine sleeping on a double bed in an airplane I'd be too busy watching the Airshow map to sleep though.

Comment

The Singapore Airlines Suites are in a class of their own in terms of privacy, luxury and personal space -- a concept where each Suite is the customer's private cabin in the sky. Behind each set of discrete sliding doors is a spacious and truly personal area.
          For couples traveling together, the beds in the middle two seats can be converted to an optional double bed.
          Why not just call it "Mile High Club Class"
          Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
          http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

nice. the commencing regular flight date for the A380 is nearing. cant wait to see 'em in MEL

Originally posted by Jet-fighters.Net
            rofl.

JAT - More than flying

Comment

Originally posted by Jet-fighters.Net
              Thats what I was thinking. A lot better than a smelly little lavatory.
              sigpic
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

With what's going to be happening on those double beds, I really hope that they go through and make sure the seats are actually clean after each flight

Comment

Do they supply modesty curtains around each double or do you have to be an exhibitionist?

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
                    With what's going to be happening on those double beds, I really hope that they go through and make sure the seats are actually clean after each flight
                    I'm sure they have large enough washing machines for that . What I'm wondering is:
                    Is you own personal Singapore Girl included in the premium price ?

Comment

finally! after 2 years, lol, great for airbus, and the 1st 5 are over weight and have some crazy different wiring, correct? lol lets hope the 787 will fare better

yes i am a boeing fan, and i know thats a airbus, haha

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrycobra Boeing
                        lets hope the 787 will fare better
                        Yes, let's hope.

Regards.
                        TAP - Transportes Aéreos Portugueses

Voe mais alto. Fly higher.

www.flytap.com

Comment

Working...
                        X