This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minor in consumption and aviation

I have a quick question, I am up at the University of North Dakota majoring in commercial aviation to become an airline pilot. I recently received a minor in consumption of alcohol ticket. Should I kiss my dreams of flying for an airline goodbye? Some people have told me that getting a DUI/DWI would be far worse... If anyone has any insight about this it would be appreciated.

Originally posted by nwaA330
    I have a quick question, I am up at the University of North Dakota majoring in commercial aviation to become an airline pilot. I recently received a minor in consumption of alcohol ticket. Should I kiss my dreams of flying for an airline goodbye? Some people have told me that getting a DUI/DWI would be far worse... If anyone has any insight about this it would be appreciated.
    I'm not sure about that althought I've heard the answer to this one before. Try posting this on the forums at Jetcareers.com, lots of pros on there who can answer that.

Comment

Bwahahahahahahahahahahhaha!

I'm laughing with you, not at you! I was in a similar situation a month or two ago and posted about it. The advice would probably be the same for you as well-

http://www.jetphotos.net/forums/show...tical+question

Just get a good lawyer and get it dropped. Problemo solved...
      Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Let me guess, Sigma Chi house when it got busted?

Comment

haha lets just say it was close to sigma chi... do i even need a lawyer? Can't I just talk to the judge about it myself on my court date? Because the cop never said I needed one, he just said show up for your court date, and he also didn't tell me how much the fine was... And does anyone know if I'm going to get into trouble with UND for this?

Comment

haha lets just say it was close to sigma chi... do i even need a lawyer? Can't I just talk to the judge about it myself on my court date? Because the cop never said I needed one, he just said show up for your court date, and he also didn't tell me how much the fine was... And does anyone know if I'm going to get into trouble with UND for this?
            If you get a lawyer then chances are you won't have to go to court. One of the agents who busted me tried to trick me into pleading guilty at the courthouse; thankfully my lawyer kept me away from that place and ended up getting the whole thing dropped.

Not sure about UND, though.
            Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

on average how much does a lawyer cost?

Comment

On a case such as this ......$250 to $500...

per minute.

My contribution to JetPhotos

Comment

A single minor shouldn't be a problem, but keep your slate clean after this or you will be screwed. If it ever comes up in an interview or anything, dont try and hide it, cause if they find out you're doing that then you really will be screwed.

Comment

You know what is so scary about this? Here it is you live in a great country, you can drive, you can have sex (and thus children), you can vote, you can die for your country, but you have a stupid law that says you cannot drink until you are 21.

An underage drinking charge will not limit your ability to be a pilot (at least not in British Commonwealth countries where the flying laws are all very similar). Unless the charges are more major such as burglaries and murder you have no problem. People with a criminal record cannot be bonded (in Canada anyway) and if you cannot be bonded you cannot get your airport I.D. from the federal gov't.

So what's the difference between you and all other pilots?.......You got caught lol.

Comment

So this question might be for flight instructors. I'm going to need to fill out an 8710 today (application for airman certificate/other ratings) and I was wondering how my minor in consumption will affect this. Do I need to answer yes to the question:

Have you ever been convicted for violation of any state or federal statuates relating to narcotic drugs, marijuana, or depressant or stimulate drugs or substances?

For one, my minor was deferred, meaning after one year of no trouble, it will be off my record. Two, is this question even asking about alcohol charges? Wouldn't they make it more obvious if they were asking about alcohol related charges?

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                        You know what is so scary about this? Here it is you live in a great country, you can drive, you can have sex (and thus children), you can vote, you can die for your country, but you have a stupid law that says you cannot drink until you are 21.
                        I couldn't agree more with you! I'm 18 and here in the U.S. you have to register for the draft soon after turning 18, it's the law. Although the chances are very slim now, this means I could be packed off to war whether I want to go or not. People my age are fighting and dying half a world away faced with the grave responsibilities of the American Soldier (whom I greatly respect). Yet they cannot consume a certain type of drink.

Comment

So this question might be for flight instructors. I'm going to need to fill out an 8710 today (application for airman certificate/other ratings) and I was wondering how my minor in consumption will affect this. Do I need to answer yes to the question:

Have you ever been convicted for violation of any state or federal statuates relating to narcotic drugs, marijuana, or depressant or stimulate drugs or substances?

For one, my minor was deferred, meaning after one year of no trouble, it will be off my record. Two, is this question even asking about alcohol charges? Wouldn't they make it more obvious if they were asking about alcohol related charges?
                          I would talk to one of our aviation law professors, Probably Venheizen. He should be able to help you out with this.

Comment

You are 20 years old next week and your country treats you like a 3 year old. They will give you a gun and send you to a foreign country but you can't have a drink of alcohol. You guys should be pressuring your lawmakers for reasonable drinking laws.

Comment

Originally posted by ptbodale
                              You are 20 years old next week and your country treats you like a 3 year old. They will give you a gun and send you to a foreign country but you can't have a drink of alcohol. You guys should be pressuring your lawmakers for reasonable drinking laws.
                              we're a country of prudes. Everywhere that I have lived that has a lower drinking age actually seemed to have a lower "people doing stupid things while drinking" factor. I think the case here is that because they're told not to, people want to drink more.

Comment

Working...
                              X