Another Alaska jet damaged on the ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Alaska jet damaged on the ground

SEATAC, Wash. - For the second time in two weeks, an Alaska Airlines jet at Sea-Tac International Airport suffered damage during a ground incident.

The incident happened around 11:30 a.m. Thursday when a baggage loader collided with a 737-700 jet parked on the jetway, damaging it enough to take it out of service, said Alaska Airlines and Port of Seattle officials. Four passengers - three adults and one minor - were on board at the time, but no injuries were reported.

A Menzies employee had accidentally put a tow tug in reverse, pushing the plane forward and damaging the boarding door. At the same time, the baggage belt loader was still against the plane. When the plane was pushed, the baggage belt was pushed against the engine.

Flight 808 from Anchorage was making a stopover at Sea-Tac Airport before continuing on to Dallas-Forth Worth International Airport.

Alaska Airlines, which has a maintenance facility at Sea-Tac, had service crews investigating the extent of damage to the plane.

The incident comes fresh on the heels of a similar incident at Sea-Tac. On Dec. 26, an Alaska Airlines MD-80 heading for Burbank, Calif., lost cabin pressure at 26,000 feet because of a foot-long gash in its fuselage.

Investigators said a Menzies Aviation ramp worker had struck the airplane with a baggage-handling vehicle while it was at the gate, but did not immediately report the accident. The hit caused a crease in the airplane's aluminum skin, which opened up to a 12- by 6-inch gash as the plane reached 26,000 feet.

The plane landed normally and none of the passengers was injured.

An Alaska Airlines jet at Sea-Tac International Airport was taken out of commission Thursday after a tow tug collided with it.

They had better get thier asses in gear or there is going to be some real trouble very very soon. The local media is on AS and Menzies like a fat girl on a pork chop.
    Last edited by wannabepilot777; 2006-01-06, 05:57. Reason: gotta add the link so "the man" doesn't come for me!
    THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
    Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
    George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Someone's gonna get fired.
    sigpic
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

This happens all the time, to many airlines. And I my experience, rarely does anyone get fired. Nor can the airline claim against the handling company. I dont know exactly why, but it is something to do with the overall insurance cost being more than the cost of repairing the aircraft. Basically, if you pay a premium per aircraft over a year and two or three get damaged, then the cost of repairing the aircraft is less than the total premium. Which means, as the insurance comapny isnt involved to grab the cost back from the baggage company, they get away with it. The airline would have to go to court everytime this happened. And that would be a prohibitive cost, especially over there in lawsuit-happy US of A!

So, basically, shit happens! And all the time baggage companies employ undertrained, under supervised, underpaid and hard pressed people to do their dirty work, it will continue to happen.

Andy

Comment

And that with AS' already very tigh plane schedule. Time to bring in The Donald to SEA to personally talk to the person responsible and utter his catchphrase .

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
          Someone's gonna get fired.
          True that!

Damn, do they drive this bad in SEA??? How the hell to you "accidently" but a tug in reverse? A tug in reverse that has enough force to push a plane backwards a good 10 feet + a baggage belt? You know how much force would be needed? The guy must of floored it out of the other gate, hitting his top speed of like 20mph!!

Comment

There was a time at YYZ when a WS plane was pulled out of service because one of the rampies drove the jetway into the plane.
            -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by wannabepilot777
              A Menzies employee had accidentally put a tow tug in reverse, pushing the plane forward and damaging the boarding door. At the same time, the baggage belt loader was still against the plane. When the plane was pushed, the baggage belt was pushed against the engine.
              Am I reading this right? It sounds like there were 2 incidents?

1. Belt loader hit (rear) door
              2. Engine hit belt loader when plane pushed back

Sounds like some rampers had their heads up their @ss.
              Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
                Am I reading this right? It sounds like there were 2 incidents?

1. Belt loader hit (rear) door
                2. Engine hit belt loader when plane pushed back

Sounds like some rampers had their heads up their @ss.
                No, it happened like this: There was a tug attatched to the nosegear and the jetway was on the front left door with the door open. The plane moved, damaging the open front left door. There happened to be a belt loader sitting in front of the right engine. As the plane moved forward, the engine hit the loader.
                THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
                Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
                George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Sounds like the plane was not properly "chaulked" (Spelling)or even the plane jumped the chaulk. I have seen this happen in the past. I have also seen two jetways drove into side of planes @ Cactus. If the plane moved forward it is entirely within reason for a belt-loader to come in contact with a plane if they were unloading/loading the aircraft .

Another thing to remember is, if the brakes are released while the plane is at the gate it will move if it is not correctly secured.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabepilot777
                    No, it happened like this: There was a tug attatched to the nosegear and the jetway was on the front left door with the door open. The plane moved, damaging the open front left door. There happened to be a belt loader sitting in front of the right engine. As the plane moved forward, the engine hit the loader.

I work at SEA. Rumors have it once Menzie International personal arrive at SEA this comming Monday that the Port of Seattle will be serving them a letter ordering them to vacate SEA within 60 days....The POS is tierd of this/thier crap.

I hope AS has learned an expensive $$$ and reputation lesson that you just dont FIRE 500 ramp workers who had a spirit of ownership and replace them with the PUNK quaility employee $8.05 an hr brings.

Menzies was kicked out of the POS parking lot because their employees were lude on the Employee Bus....Doug Fox parking where Menzies has a contract for employee parking has given Menzies a two week notice to find other parking arragements they to have seen LUDE behavior on their buses as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X