Best Point and Shoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Point and Shoot

I usually take my camera on the road, but it's pretty old and I need a new one.

I'd like the best quality I can get, with a decent size and decent zoom. Good batterly life is also key. I have had trouble with my old point and shoot in the past with it's slow shutter speed and getting blurry shots. And trying to track a moving object is nearly impossible.

Suggestions?
    Anybody can fly a round airplane....

the olympus C-7XX seris

or a FujiFilm FinePix S9000 Z

Comment

I have an Olympus C-740. I used to swear by it but I'm getting disillusioned with it. The Canon S2 (5mp, x12 optical zoom) is also getting good reviews nowadays. Don't know how its autofocus would cope for aviation photography though.

Comment

I like the FZ20 from Panasonic myself. Very nice camera, maybe even as close to a DSLR as you'll get from a P&S camera. Lots of manual control over it (manual focus was very nice), and very ncie image quality with image stabilization that some say can't be beat and f/2.8 though out the entire zoom range (36-432mm).

On the down side, like all P&S cameras (so it seems):
        - It gets pretty noisey at ISO 400 and up. 200 is noticable, but it's still acceptable.
        - The EVF is annoying, it made my eyes hurt (like all EFVs do though).
        - They're slow.

I know someone whos selling one quite cheap($650CDN) along with a bunch of accessories, he wants to upgrade to the FZ30.

Comment

The Panasonic FZ-20 or Canon S2 IS are probably the best out there.

The FZ-30 just came out, so FZ-20 prices should drop. It's quite strange that I find more noise complaints from users of FZ-30 than the FZ-20. I wonder why...

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
            The FZ-30 just came out, so FZ-20 prices should drop. It's quite strange that I find more noise complaints from users of FZ-30 than the FZ-20. I wonder why...
            From what I gather the FZ30 has a slightly smaller sensor and 3MP more than the FZ20 (8mp insted of 5mp), people are saying thats the cause. I like the manual zoom on the FZ30 though.

FZ30 isn't f/2.8 though the entire zoom range though, I think it's f/3.7 at the ~430 end.

Comment

Originally posted by Genessee
              From what I gather the FZ30 has a slightly smaller sensor and 3MP more than the FZ20 (8mp insted of 5mp), people are saying thats the cause. I like the manual zoom on the FZ30 though.

FZ30 isn't f/2.8 though the entire zoom range though, I think it's f/3.7 at the ~430 end.
              But according to dpreview.com:

FZ-30
              1/1.8" Type CCD
              7.18 x 5.32 mm

FZ-20
              1/2.5" Type CCD
              5.76 x 4.29 mm

I guess the relatively small increase in sensor size does not compensate for the huge jump in resolution..

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
                But according to dpreview.com:

FZ-30
                1/1.8" Type CCD
                7.18 x 5.32 mm

FZ-20
                1/2.5" Type CCD
                5.76 x 4.29 mm

I guess the relatively small increase in sensor size does not compensate for the huge jump in resolution..
                Yeah, dpreview is where I got most of my info from. Some guy there had some things figured out quite well. Space per pixel, focal length in comparison to the sensor, aperture, etc. His math seemed a little dodgey, but close enough for me for general information.

On the OTHER hand, Canons sensor in the 350D/XT is smaller than the 300D, and it's got better quality

Comment

I'll also say the Canon S2, really solid camera

Comment

I have the Canon S1 and she does the trick... I am going to upgrade sooner or later. the S2 is good. I have toyed with it some.
                    Ryan Davis
                    Admin, FlyerGuide.Net
                    www.flyerguide.net

Comment

Well considering the price of a decent point and shoot and considering the superior AF, metering and noise perfromance of a entry level DSLR, I would rather go for a Nikon D50 and a cheap 28-200 or 28-300mm zoom lense. It is more expensive, but surely will fullfill your needs much longer.

I have a Coolpix 5700 for (non aviaition) holiday spotting and although it is a decent P&S it does not come close to a D100. If you have a real interest in photography a DSLR is the way to go.

Comment

just a headsup to everybody, I talked to Mike today on AIM and he got a Sony...whichever the 5mp 12x zoom one is.

Comment

That I did! It was an open box at Best Buy, seemed like a good deal...been messing with it tonight, really seems like it will fit the bill nicely. Also the fact that the open box deal was about 100 bucks under retail.

For those interested, here is the camera.....

I head to work next week, hopefully I'll have some upload worthy shots again!

Here are some old shots with the old camera, I didn't think they were upload quality...but I think they turned out nice

Anybody can fly a round airplane....

Comment

nice, lookin forward to some pictures from work with the new camera. You get to see some pretty badass stuff flying, and I dont even get that high or go that far.

Comment

Nice pictures, congratulations on the new toy. Nothing like a new toy

Comment

Working...
                              X