FedEx builds $150 mil Asia hub at Guangzhou, closing Subic hub in 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FedEx builds $150 mil Asia hub at Guangzhou, closing Subic hub in 2008

Manila Bulletin reports that FedEx has announced that it is building a US$150 million 82,000 square meters facility at Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport (CAN) and will move its Asia hub to the airport when the facility completes in 2008. Currently its Asia hub is at Subic Bay in Philippines.
    Next:
    None Planned

For some reason, every time I hear of new civilian aerospace gains in Guangdong province, I immediately think of a loss to Hong Kong

Comment

Its a big loss for Subic and the Philippines in General.

adaequatio rei et intellectus

Comment

But a gain for Guangzhou and their awesome new airport.
        Will F.
        Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
          But a gain for Guangzhou and their awesome new airport.
          China has gotten a lot of Business from ASEAN. Member countries have to be more competitive or cooperative.

Hope UPS and DHL wont leave Clark.

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
            For some reason, every time I hear of new civilian aerospace gains in Guangdong province, I immediately think of a loss to Hong Kong
            *slap*
            ...you're already the world's busiest international-air-freight port, what more do ya want?
            Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordeBoy
              *slap*
              ...you're already the world's busiest international-air-freight port, what more do ya want?
              You never know... this could be a slippery slope to something tragic... one by one the freighters would leave Hong Kong for cheaper pasture mainland (now where's that paranoid smilie )

Comment

thats a great news and gets good benefits to the chine economy, however im glad to see that FDX will maintain its presence and even expanding, so all in all, its okey that they move the hub, but since they are expanding its airport operations in Manila in order to provide back-office functions by centralizing certain services ..
                Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by avro_arrow_25206
                  You never know... this could be a slippery slope to something tragic... one by one the freighters would leave Hong Kong for cheaper pasture mainland (now where's that paranoid smilie )
                  Effectively CAN could be a threat (if not already) to HKG as it is so close (within the Pearl River Delta), being much cheaper and having as good facilities as HKG but so much more available space for expansion (firm land vs reclaimed land). It will also save one level of customs clearance by being already in mainland rather than going through HKG and having to go through 2 customs.

Comment

Originally posted by vojoboy
                    China has gotten a lot of Business from ASEAN. Member countries have to be more competitive or cooperative.

Hope UPS and DHL wont leave Clark.
                    Don't count on that. DHL is already building its largest Asian logistic centre in HongKong. And it plans to shift most hub functions to HongKong once it is completed. It has a 40% stake at Air Hong Kong and the carrier will use its A300F to feed into DHL network.
                    Next:
                    None Planned

Comment

I'll miss seeing the Fed Ex MD-11's at Subic. On my August trip, Ill spend time visiting in Olongapo. It gives me a reason to take my friends over to "Ocean Adventure" so I can go by the airport again.

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
                        Don't count on that. DHL is already building its largest Asian logistic centre in HongKong. And it plans to shift most hub functions to HongKong once it is completed. It has a 40% stake at Air Hong Kong and the carrier will use its A300F to feed into DHL network.
                        Looks like all 3 will be lost. UPS will move to Shanghai Pudong after its new hub will be completed.

Comment

I will miss this picture ..
                          A310's parked
                          These planes are sitting at the gate after returning from the night's routes, and waiting to be loaded up for that night's flights. - Photo taken at Subic Bay - International (SFS / RPLB) in Philippines on July 8, 2001.

Comment

Well, you can still have this:
                            [photoid=163428]

Comment

Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
                              Well, you can still have this:
                              [photoid=163428]
                              well i like that photo even more then i posted
                              but the reason i posted mine because it was taken at subic, but cool pic !

Comment

Working...
                              X