DC-9 rear emergency exit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC-9 rear emergency exit

Isnt it true that the DC-9 series (i only know of the 32 series) has a emergency tailcone escape?
    -Kevin

Yep all DC-9's and Md-80's have them.... they are fun to watch blow during training

Comment

Originally posted by kcmh
      they are fun to watch blow during training
      sweet! but what about the DC-9-50, doesnt it have airstairs?
      -Kevin

Comment

727s have them too, at least the one I was on yesterday did.

Comment

I remember watching one episode of the Apprentice and they coincidentally were flying on Donald Trumps private 727, and they boarded through the rear airstairs.
          - The baby will be back -

Comment

I have a cat named Hannah

Comment

Purple monkey dishwasher.

To get back on topic:
              The tailcone emergency escape is still available on DC-9s with rear airstairs. After entering the airstair vestibule a handle is pulled to blow the cone away from the aircraft and allow egress through the gap. As far as I'm aware this exit was not made available on the Boeing 717.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Torin Wilson
                I have a cat named Hannah
                What does that have to do with the post?
                - The baby will be back -

Comment

From Transport Canada:
                  DC-9-10/30
                  /31/32/40/50

Aft Fuselage Exit

Tailcone (Jettisonable) is accessed via door in the aft pressure bulkhead. Remove by lifting upward on the handle located on the top of the door. Pull door inward and stow Pull red release handle (lower left side).
                  Approximate force required to move bulkhead handle from closed to open position: 6.80 kg. (15lbs.)
                  Approximate force required to pull tailcone jettison release handle: 13.61kg. (30 lbs.)
                  Escape Tape fitted to facilitate evacuation located at end of walkway (top).

Comment

i've heard of people accidentally pulling the jettison handle instead of the rear stairs handle while opening up the back on a 727 before.
                    Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

so the doors a bulkhead, so if the tailcone came off, there would be no explossive decompression?
                      -Kevin

Comment

Correct.

Comment

The 717 does have a tailcone mounted escape slide, but no rear stairs (supposedly it is available as an option, but nobody has taken them). The tailcone exit is through the door in the rear, via a catwalk.
                          [photoid=358585]
                          No photos of the aft door open here, but I found one over @ a.net:
                          Looking aft, the rear emergency exit door is open and the exit ramp clearly visible. - Photo taken at Long Beach - Daugherty Field (LGB / KLGB) in California, USA on April 30, 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by assghanistan
                            i've heard of people accidentally pulling the jettison handle instead of the rear stairs handle while opening up the back on a 727 before.
                            Not unless they wanted to escape through the centre engine.

Comment

is there anyway for the locks on the door and tail cone to fail?
                              -Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X