• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do most people hate Delta?!

Originally posted by chrisburns
    Originally posted by Crazy764
    Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
    It's not a question of "Why do most people hate Delta?!", it's much rather a question of "Why do most people hate Delayta or Northworst or US Scareways or Incontinental or Untied or Unamerican?" The US Legacy carriers are not very much liked in general, with a few obvious exceptions (like me and Delta, Chris and NW etc), but strangely most of this talk is related to aviation forums, with posts made by people who prefer LCCs. There might be a connection . Seriously, the general consensus on forums is that Legacy Carriers are badly managed, employees are overpaid, their service sucks, and they charge high prices in markets where they have a monopoly. Personally, I'm not denying that I had problems with DL on some occasions, but not more than on other airlines, with a certain French Legacy Carrier causing me a lot more trouble on 17 flights than Delta on the 100+ I've taken.

-Colin
    Exactly! The US Majors simply cannot compare to airlines like Cathay, ANA, Emirates, LH, Singapore Airlines, etc.
    And if any of those airlines were the size of a US Airline they would be the same way
    That could be true. However, customers don't care about that. As an airline, you can't justify your under-par service by saying that you're too large.
    Will F.
    Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Re: Why do most people hate Delta?!

Originally posted by chrisburns
      Originally posted by Crazy764
      Originally posted by DAL767-400ER
      It's not a question of "Why do most people hate Delta?!", it's much rather a question of "Why do most people hate Delayta or Northworst or US Scareways or Incontinental or Untied or Unamerican?" The US Legacy carriers are not very much liked in general, with a few obvious exceptions (like me and Delta, Chris and NW etc), but strangely most of this talk is related to aviation forums, with posts made by people who prefer LCCs. There might be a connection . Seriously, the general consensus on forums is that Legacy Carriers are badly managed, employees are overpaid, their service sucks, and they charge high prices in markets where they have a monopoly. Personally, I'm not denying that I had problems with DL on some occasions, but not more than on other airlines, with a certain French Legacy Carrier causing me a lot more trouble on 17 flights than Delta on the 100+ I've taken.

-Colin
      Exactly! The US Majors simply cannot compare to airlines like Cathay, ANA, Emirates, LH, Singapore Airlines, etc.
      And if any of those airlines were the size of a US Airline they would be the same way
      UNITED-You're not just flying, you're flying the friendly skies.

Comment

Not to be off topic but do those Asian, etc. carriers exist in a truly deregulated market? Some might argue that the U.S. isn't truly deregulated but the advent of new LCC's has proven the lack of government "pet" airlines. Refusal of UAL's loan as an example. The collapse of Pan Am as another example and the rise of WN, FL and B6 as the third example. Also the U.S. is a much larger country than Germany, Singapore, or Japan. I doubt that the U.S. legacies could offer SQ style service on a 15 minute feeder route.

And oh yeah, I like Delta.

Comment

Why do most people hate Delta?!

Originally posted by Greg
        I doubt that the U.S. legacies could offer SQ style service on a 15 minute feeder route.
        Now that would be nice, SQ Space beds on a CRJ for a ATL-CHA flight .

-Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus_A320
          Well I used to like Delta but yesterday my oppinoion changed...

I am going to MCO in the middle of August. The tickets were bought in October 2003. We had seats 11 A,B,C for the flight down and then 2 A,B,C for the fligth back up... both of these are Song flights. On Sunday we got a call and were told that the seats for the MCO-BDL had changed to 8 A,B,C these are no good b/c they don't recline fully. Why the f|_|ck did you make a change give me sh!t seats when the tickets were purchased like 9 months ago. So since we got pretty pissed over the chagned on the MCO-BDL leg the agent told us that the seats for flight down BDL-MCO had also changed.... we were supposed to have 11 A,B,C i still have 11A but the ppl i'm traveling with are in other places. All the seats are windows though. So anyways we basically yelled at them for over an hour because of what happened and the woman kept coming out with crap excuses. We had assigned seats and they just randomized them for some random reason and thankfully there are still windows.... if not i would have gone crazy. AA started with the random seat changes and now Delta seems to have taken the same course so as of now Delta is on my bad list.

Infact i'm not even sure I have a favorite airline at all as most of them seem to suck. And treat ppl like crap. The airline i have had the best experience with so far is Air Canada and United.... the channel 9 deffinetly puts United over the top.
          The same thing happened to my uncle this month. Him and his family of 4 were going from MCO-BOS on SONG, and they called him a few days before and changed his seats from all together, to spread out over the cabin. He got pissed and they couldnt help him so he cancelled the tickets and got a refund.
          Ryan Davis
          Admin, FlyerGuide.Net
          www.flyerguide.net

Comment

Because they retired the MD11/L1011 and changed their colours.....

ErwinS
            “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

12ish years later
              I think Delta is great airline

Comment

Never flown them.
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Hey
                  Originally posted by flyingnate88 View Post
                  ... I have never been on a BAD Delta flight...

...What are your guys thoughts...
                  I have (and more than once)

My thoughts are:

It's not particularly valid to love or hate any airline.

All have cancellations, over bookings, delays, burnt out customer serveice folks, lost and damaged luggage, nasty policies and minimal seat pitch. All also sometimes fly on time, or have a great FA or gate agent, etc.

I do like the cookies, though.
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

After re-reading the thread, I too, just last Friday had some random seat changes...with the actual seat I wanted and "lost", being next to seats that were open...and thus we sat as planned...

I can see how thus might happen, but still, it seems awfully weak...and yeah a 757-200 vs a 757-236A no less!
                    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                      Never flown them.
                      +1.

I can't say that I hate them. They are a good partner here on my home airport.

Btw, do we have a jp member at KMSP?

NW-B747 was a brand, worldwide. Also here on my home airport (!). I could imagine that not all airports worldwide are as neutral as we are here at EDDL, if it comes to
                      DL traffic.
                      The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                      This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

I flew Delta LHR-ATL-LHR last year on a 764. It was a great flight, the cabin crew were really nice and hospitable, food was half decent, aircraft very comfortable. The only downside was they make you pay for everything. Even the inflight movies needed a credit card on the Transatlantic services - which I thought was a very poor show.

Comment

Well, I don't "hate" Delta. I am a frequent flyer with Air France/KLM, so as another SkyTeam carrier they are my US airline of choice. HOWEVER... well, I have had a number of bad experiences with Delta, mainly on their international flights.
                          In 2014, I was flying back from Atlanta to Amsterdam on a Delta A330-300 and it was one of the most miserable long-hauls I have ever had. The flight was booked through my travel agent as a DL/KL codeshare, stating a KL flight number in my ticket. Delta never opened the seat reservation during the whole seven months between booking and departure. I asked my travel agent to make a seat reservation, I asked the KLM customer service center, I tried the KLM, Air France, and Delta websites... no chance. During online check-in I was able to change my seat from a center section middle seat to an aisle seat at the bulkhead. While I was now at least able to get out of my seat easily I had nowhere to stretch out my legs. The food was mediocre at best, the breakfast barely edible.
                          In April 2015, I was travelling on KLM from JFK to Amsterdam. This time, I had an assigned seat reserved well in advance, only to find out on check-in at JFK, that Delta had reassigned me... to a bulkhead seat. The check-in agent said he couldn't change it and that I needed to check at the gate. At the gate, Delta staff were not accommodating at all, until I started to raise my voice a little, when their supervisor 'suddenly' was able to switch me back to the seat which I had reserved originally...
                          Soooo... I don't hate Delta, but after being treated badly twice within less than a year, I vowed to avoid them for intercontinental flights. Within the US, I have never had a problem so far, except their sometimes outrageous fares in markets which they dominate, e.g. Atlanta - Memphis. Well - there's always Southwest

Comment

Delta ? United ? American ? All tarred with same brush. Crap service with staff who act like they are doing you a favour by carrying you.
                            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                              (...)staff who act like they are doing you a favour by carrying you.
                              Also a hallmark of Lufthansa. That's why I prefer KLM... or Air France...

Comment

• Working...
                                X