No announcement yet.

Are PTV's a must for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id fly BA hapily if they'd stop being tight ass with there frequent flyer scheme. I cant fly AA and get miles on BA's frequent flyer card, the same if i fly BA i can get miles on AA's. Rediculous. Yuo can on any other oneworld airline. Its just these two on the transatlantic route. im a Platinum card holder for AA so i wouldnt bother flying BA anyway if i have to sit at the back.

Co are the best for ptv's maybe....shame the airline as ahole sucks

Comment

I can live without one, as long as the aircraft has communal TV's, its no problem.

Comment

"Air Atlanta" - Do they even have tv screens on the plane?

Comment

Originally posted by DougNYC
          Originally posted by BA747-436
          Yeah i only fly AA out of the US airlines as they have PTV's in all classes and there not to shabby either.
          None of the US majors have plans to put PTVs in all classes on all longhaul a/c that I know of.
          Northwest will eventually install the seats on the 744, and once the DC-10's are gone and the 742's then all of Northwest longhaul will have PTV's. Rumors are that one the industry picks up, IFE will be availible on domestic flights, not sure if PTV's are included in that though.

Comment

Id fly BA hapily if they'd stop being tight ass with there frequent flyer scheme. I cant fly AA and get miles on BA's frequent flyer card, the same if i fly BA i can get miles on AA's. Rediculous.
            That's not BA's fault, or AA's. They'd both love to give you those miles. It comes down to the archaic, ridiculous Bermuda II agreements between the US and UK.

Now, people complain that if AA and BA could cooperate on transatlantic routes (which would be allowed if Bermuda II were thrown out the window like it ought to be) they would have a monopoly on LHR. What a load of BS... Bermuda II gives them a monopoly from LHR! Throw out Bermuda II, allow DL, CO, NW, and BD to operate services to the US from LHR, and at the same time let AA and BA cooperate (frequent flyer and maybe even codesharing) and everyone should be happy. Unfortunately it seems Bermuda II is here to stay - which is quite a feat as even AA and BA, who benefit from it by being among the "chosen few" allowed to operate from LHR to the US, want it overthrown.

VS might be the only carrier who actually wants to keep Bermuda II as is, as it ensures "No Way AA/BA" and all that jazz.

I was hoping the US-EU open skies agreement would spell the long overdue end of Bermuda II but it seems that's not to be. Too bad - in the long run it would mean more competition, and AA and BA would actually welcome that competition in exchange for their being allowed to cooperate. Classic win-win situation, and nobody's taking advantage of it, despite most of the airline industry trying their best.

Comment

on a side note i noticed LH doesnt seem to have PTV's on its A340-600? can this be true. And if so wtf's up with that :P
              It is indeed true in Economy Class. I have flown it and there are no PTVs. Business has a great AVOD IFE system, though.

I am a long-time long-houl flier, crossing the Atlantic from South America to Europe at least every two months. And I am not a PTV-fan. I recognize I used to be, but now I realized they are not a must for me. I enjoy reading, listening to some music and chatting with my neighbours. I also sleep when flying. Whenever I want to watch some TV, I just look at the main screen.

I would never put the IFE first when choosing an airline, either. I'd rather pay attention to the price, the flight lenght and my FF miles and only then to the entertainment on board. As long as the airline gets me from A to B, doesn't loose my luggage and the seat is OK, I am happy with it. And I guess I won't change my mind in a near future.

Comment

PTV isn't as important to me on shorter flights, but on long hauls (9hours +), I think it should be present and available on all a/c.

I can't believe LH's decision to not install PTVs on their A346s- ridiculous! What kind of airline is this? They should be advancing, not going backwards.

Just my $0.02c
                Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

I've gotten used to PTVs thanks to CX, but I can certainly go without them as I've flown routes such as HKG-ZRH and ORD-HKG without a PTV.

Cathay Pacific - The Heart of Asia

Comment

PTVs are great for longer flights.
                    Though the window is often even better than the PTVs
                    Andy

Comment

I think being an old school one. I am not running after this facility, it's a good way to get crusted by not moving at least somesting because of getting busy in switching channels and others. Personally I flew with PTVs on board an US Airways 333 got somehow bored after a while and came to the point it was not so bad when on board some 707s and DC.8, selection was just one (good) movie.

Alain
                      Thanks for visiting
                      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                      *JetPhotos*
                      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Originally posted by ME707
                        They should be advancing, not going backwards.
                        Well, they're not going backwards - they never had PTVs in economy so they're just standing still.

Anyhow, as I understand it, forward motion (very far forward) is imminent.

Comment

Well, they're not going backwards - they never had PTVs in economy so they're just standing still.

Anyhow, as I understand it, forward motion (very far forward) is imminent
                          I meant that most airlines do offer PTV on longer flights- which the A340-600 is used on... so the industry standard is moving forward, and as LH isn't adapting to that, in effect, they are moving backwards.

However, their onboard literature is good, and as another poster pointed out, looking out of the window is always good!

I recently travelled from Kuala Lumpur to Heathrow and my PTV didn't work- I wasn't heart broken- I had a good book and managed to take a few shots (check out my photo from the link below!).

I'd much rather see extra leg room on carriers than PTVs - but if you can have both, then fine!!
                          Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by ME707

Anyhow, as I understand it, forward motion (very far forward) is imminent
                            I meant that most airlines do offer PTV on longer flights- which the A340-600 is used on... so the industry standard is moving forward, and as LH isn't adapting to that, in effect, they are moving backwards.

However, their onboard literature is good, and as another poster pointed out, looking out of the window is always good!

I recently travelled from Kuala Lumpur to Heathrow and my PTV didn't work- I wasn't heart broken- I had a good book and managed to take a few shots (check out my photo from the link below!).

I'd much rather see extra leg room on carriers than PTVs - but if you can have both, then fine!!
                            We all know Lufthansa's main target are not Economy passengers, but Business's. The new Business for intercontinental flights has a great Audio and Video On Demand IFE system, while Economy has the main screens, with quite good movies and lots of audio channels. As you pointed, Lufthansa offers very good reading material in German, English and the language of the country of destination. I had the chance of flying with lots of airlines, some among the best worldwide, and none has a so wide selection of newspapers/magazines.

The average Economy Class passenger (not the JP.net airline-nerd) doestn't care that much for the PTVs. When they book their flights, they mostly care about these things: price and be flown from A to B safely and in time with a minimum comfort. Lufthansa offers that all, having the best prices in lots of routes, without delays in most of the cases and their seats are OK; not the best in town, but not the worst either. And Lufthansa means Germany, and Germany means security and reliability.

Lufthansa is making a respectable profit, while most of the airlines its size don't. They don't have PTVs, true - but people still flies them.

Comment

Working...
                            X