No announcement yet.

Are PTV's a must for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are nice for long-haul flights but I don't have to have them.
    Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
    ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

few factors for me,
      If im in a window seat not necessary.
      If its a crap movie necessary (unless they are all crap)

Other than that ive coped without them so far
      Sam Rudge
      A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Depends. If the flight is less than 6 hours long then I can easily pre-occupy myself with reading, my CD player, looking out the window, or just taking a stroll around. However, on the long-haul flights it'd be nice to have one as it is a great time killer and makes a long flight shorter.

Comment

PTV? Last time I flew the NWA B727 didn't have them...in fact, I'll bet most planes didn't have them back in 1991... But of course, back then an airplane to me was just a means to get from here to there in a hurry.
          I tend to think that if I flew in this day and age, a PTV might be interesting for the aforementioned "tracking channel", but other than that I think my attention would be out the window watching the world unfold.
          George R. Widener
          Oshkosh, WI USA
          Aircraft Photos Here
          Railroad Pictures Here

Comment

i usually fly longhaul only and i would use the PTV for about 1-2hrs on a 12 hour flight, i tend to sleep for most of the flight.

next trips
            USA/DXB August.

Comment

I've only been on three flight segments in my entire life with PTVs:
              JFK-LHR (BA 777, 1997)
              JFK-BUF (B6 320, 2002)
              BUF-JFK (B6 320, 2002)

That's it - every other flight I've been on has been PTV-free. So obviously it's not a must for me. I've done JFK-IST sans PTV and was perfectly fine.

On that first BA flight the PTV was a real novelty (so was the 777) but by today's standards it would be considered pretty obsolete - six channels I think, and a pretty tiny display. No Airshow I don't think.

B6's live TV is OK, but nothing special. I don't watch that much television at home anyway! Airshow is nice but astonishingly B6's has (frequent) advertisements. I don't know if this is common or not.

Longest flight I've been on was JFK-IST (stage length 10hr55min IIRC). I would not turn down a PTV on a longhaul flight, especially for Airshow.

The latest AVOD systems, which are very different from anything I've experienced, do look fantastic - so many choices that it would be hard to not have anything to watch, and the start/stop on demand is very attractive too. Who knows, maybe once I get on a longhaul with AVOD I'll be a PTV addict but for now it's not a priority - though as I said, on a longish flight, I certainly would like to have one.

Comment

I read, chat, look out the window or eat/drink. I can watch TV at home.

Comment

Give me a window, music player, book/magazine and I'll be content.
                  My photos on jp.net

Comment

Are PTV's a must for you?

For longhaul flights, I definitely wouldn't mind them, but on flights in Europe or the US, I don't need them, as long as I have a window, an aviation magazine or my laptop, and I'm fine.

-Colin

Comment

I would be very disappointed if I walked on to a plane for a long haul flight and I didn't have a ptv, I guess I've been spoilt by flying BA. I cant get off to sleep while flying and I'm not a big reader so I use the ptv's a lot on a flight.
                      Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

PTV's are a godsend. I wouldnt even think about going on an airline long haul withought them. Its such a hastle having to crane your neck to see over the guy with a fro infront of you to see a screen about 50 rows ahed. + with PTV's you get a large selection, games, travel guides ect. (well on half decent airlines anyhow)
                        on a side note i noticed LH doesnt seem to have PTV's on its A340-600? can this be true. And if so wtf's up with that :P

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
                          PTV's are a godsend. I wouldnt even think about going on an airline long haul withought them.
                          And in most of the world you don't have to!

Look at the airlines with no PTVs - aside from LH, TG and a few others, they're almost all American.

Still, more and more airlines are going with PTVs. LH will apparently be having an AVOD system installed on the 346 and maybe others eventually (yes, the 346 has no PTVs, but there are big HOLES in the seatbacks for them to go in!). I think I read that TG is going to be installing them soon too.

As older longhaul/widebody aircraft are retired by the major airlines, their replacements will inevitably have PTVs. As far as I know LH is the only major carrier ordering brand-new longhaul aircraft without PTVs and that seems to be about to change.

Comment

Yeah i only fly AA out of the US airlines as they have PTV's in all classes and there not to shabby either. + i'll always be on a 777 unlike some US airlines opperating to London

Comment

777, give me a BA 747 any day.
                              Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by BA747-436
                                Yeah i only fly AA out of the US airlines as they have PTV's in all classes and there not to shabby either.
                                AA does not have PTVs in all classes on the 763, only the 777.

UA has PTVs in all classes on 763 and 777 but not 744.

DL has PTVs in all classes on 777 but not 763.

NW has PTVs in all classes on 333 but not 742, 744, or D10.

CO has PTVs in all classes on 762, 764, and 777 but not 752.

US has PTVs in all classes on 333 but not 762.

All have PTVs in international first/biz on all a/c except AA which does not have them on the 763 (DVD players instead).

So CO is the best US major for PTVs - only the few intl 752s don't have them.

None of the US majors have plans to put PTVs in all classes on all longhaul a/c that I know of.

Comment

Working...
                                X