Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American puts gear up on ground!

Kind of funny

An embarrassing incident at an American Airlines maintenance base in Fort Worth left a plane badly damaged, after the landing gear retracted, sending the nose of the jumbo jet crashing to the ground.

The Boeing 767-300 was undergoing a heavy maintenance check at the company's Alliance Airport hangar, when the nose gear suddenly folded up, as it would if the plane was in the air.

Major Oops Could Cost Airline Big Money | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth

View more news videos at: http://www.nbcdfw.com/video.

Flickr |Airliners.Net | Airplane-Pictures.Net | Jetphotos.Net

Originally posted by C-FITL View Post
    I would say so... That's going to come down to a maintenance error, and some jobs...
    -Not an Airbus or Boeing guy here.
    -20 year veteran on the USN Lockheed P-3 Orion.

Comment

I'm not surprised the pilots union jumped on this with their negative comments, they are after AA management like a lion hunting prey in the Serengeti.

However if Boeing can fix this....

Sitting in a remote area this plane awaits major repairs to her fuselage. She made what appears to be a very hard landing causing the outer skin to buckle and split open. Damage was also done to the nose gear area, you can see the affected area taped in blue.. CN-RNT. Boeing 767-36N(ER). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

shameless self plug

AA can fix their 767.

Comment

The same thing happened to an Air Canada B767-200, fin 617, a few years ago. It was repaired and flew for many more years.

As if AA Management had anything to do with the plane dropping on its nose!

Comment

The standards of journalism haven't improved:

"sending the nose of the jumbo jet crashing to the ground".

Call me cynical but does that 'jumbo' (yep, the one they correctly labelled a 767) have some sort of new streamlined upper deck?

Comment

Originally posted by SYDCBRWOD View Post
            The standards of journalism haven't improved:

"sending the nose of the jumbo jet crashing to the ground".

Call me cynical but does that 'jumbo' (yep, the one they correctly labelled a 767) have some sort of new streamlined upper deck?
            No, but would most people take interest in "While on a standard and routine maintainance program, the out-of-service airliner's gear collapsed, causing the front section of the fusleage to rest on the ground..." So, in the interest of selling papers - they hyped it up. Sad - yes. Money maker - yes!
            Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Ansett did that at the gate here in Sydney with 767 VH-RMO.

It's not uncommon but is certainly not desirable for the airline!

Comment

NICE!!!!! Shows how important that "milion dollar" pin is.

I have an uncle who works for AA Maintanance and travels back and forth from Miami to Dallas to Los Angeles, I bet he is like, ".....sigh.....&$#@".
                what ever happens......happens

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Diffoot View Post
                  I have an uncle who works for AA Maintanance and travels back and forth from Miami to Dallas to Los Angeles, I bet he is like, ".....sigh.....&$#@".
                  Even though Maintenance doesn't usually break the aircraft we all tend to say that about MTC.

Comment

Dale - does this look repairable? Can you tell by these pics? Will she be soaring through the skies for years to come?
                    Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818 View Post
                      Dale - does this look repairable? Can you tell by these pics? Will she be soaring through the skies for years to come?
                      Im not Dale but a Cargolux B744F had the same thing happening to her:

She was repaired and still flies:

Id say if the collapse wasnt violent and caused damage to the fuselage she should be ok

Was this http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6588814 really repaired, or is it going to be? I suppose repairs havent begun yet, since the photo is from early june. I cant imagine this to work though, wouldnt you need to seperate the front half from the rest?

Comment

layman here...one would think there would be a ground safety which prevented this thing from happening...sorta like the neutral safety switch in a car.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                          layman here...one would think there would be a ground safety which prevented this thing from happening...sorta like the neutral safety switch in a car.
                          Yes, the gearpin. It prevents the nose gear from retracting.
                          It's also the same piece that the ramp agent shows to the pilots after pushback

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                            Ansett did that at the gate here in Sydney with 767 VH-RMO.
                            when was that Andrew?
                            any way, what happened, on this aircraft, to the microswitch on the oleo leg that prevents the gear being retracted while on the ground? thats why they can do retractions on the ground while the aircraft is jacked and the gear has no contact with the ground.
                            You cant have the best virtual airline in the world without the best people. Ansett Australia.

Comment

You'll be happy to know there is. There is a "gear lock" as part of the landing gear lever that prevents you from moving it up without an override, based on the air/ground system.

They were likely playing with the gear (or related) system, or towing, without the gear pins in (which are installed to prevent this sort of event while performing maintenance/towing.)

Yes, the gearpin. It prevents the nose gear from retracting.
                              It's also the same piece that the ramp agent shows to the pilots after pushback
                              No, it isn't. The piece that the ramp agent shows the pilots is the Nose Gear Steering Lockout Pin, which is installed during pushback/towing to protect the tug driver/headset engineer.

The "Gear Pins" are an entirely different beast, with there being one per landing gear. They are purely a mechanical way of ensuring the gear cannot retract. It is rather embarassing to get airborn with any of these installed (and yes, it has happened).

Comment

Working...
                              X