Wind: True direction = 310 degrees, Speed: 2 m/s
    Visibility: 10 km or more
    Clouds: Overcast sky , at 3000 feet above aerodrome level
    Temperature: -01 degrees Celsius
    Dewpoint: -03 degrees Celsius
    QNH: 1012 hPa
    No significant changes expected in the near future
    Runway state:
    Runway 25 Right: wet snow, contamination 10% or less, deposit is 1 mm deep, friction coefficient 0.45
    Runway state:
    Runway 25 (or 25 Left): wet snow, contamination 10% or less, deposit is 1 mm deep, friction coefficient 0.45

Flight Manual A320:
    All surfaces of the aircraft (critical surfaces : leading edges and upper surfaces of wings, vertical and horizontal stabilizers, all control surfaces, slats and flaps) must be clear of snow, frost and ice for takeoff.
    Air crashes don't just happen... www.aircrash.ucoz.net

SVO-LED
    A320 (VP-BKY)

Official response from Aeroflot regarding the video (translated from Russian):

"Dear custumer! We were given an explanation by the deputy director of Flight Operations and Director of the Department Mr. I.Chalik and the head of the management of aviation safety Mr. A.Koldunov. No violations have been made and it is clear from the video. The snow was instantly blown away by the flux of air, which clearly indicates the lack of effect on the aerodynamics and flight safety. Safety is our top priority!"

According to the notes of the video owner.

TwitLonger is the easy way to post more than 140 characters to Twitter

My own conclusions:
    1) It's prohibited to take off with snow, ice, shit on the wings.
    2) The snow hadnt been blown away completely before the plane took off
    3) There could have been ice under the snow.
    4) Aeroflot doesn't care about safety.
    5) There's great similarity to the case of UTair ATR-72 (which ended tragically)

Comment

The deputy director of Flight Operations and Director of the Department Mr. I.Chalik and the head of the management of aviation safety Mr. A.Koldunov are more criminal that the pilots. In other words, with these generals what can you expect from the troop?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        The deputy director of Flight Operations and Director of the Department Mr. I.Chalik and the head of the management of aviation safety Mr. A.Koldunov are more criminal that the pilots. In other words, with these generals what can you expect from the troop?
        Right, the reaction of the airline officials is outrageous. I didn't expect there's such a mess in Aeroflot, cause it seems to be a benchmark airline in the country.
        What about other airlines in Russia? I dont think this case is a unique blunder. It seems to be a common practice according to the airline respose.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmitry View Post
          Right, the reaction of the airline officials is outrageous. I didn't expect there's such a mess in Aeroflot, cause it seems to be a benchmark airline in the country.
          What about other airlines in Russia? I dont think this case is a unique blunder. It seems to be a common practice according to the airline respose.
          "Ladies and Gentlemen, the hole you see in the engine does not pose a safety issue. Please get back on the plane, we're taking off."

Comment

Originally posted by Fear_of_Flying View Post
            "Ladies and Gentlemen, the hole you see in the engine does not pose a safety issue. Please get back on the plane, we're taking off."
            The problem, again, is not so much what is being said but who is saying it.
            Lufthansa? No problem.
            Aeroflot? I won't hear the PA because I will never get on one of their planes to begin with.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

VP-BKY - Rostropovich

Originally posted by Fear_of_Flying View Post
              Well, this plane needs no deicing before flights in snowy Russian winters, it's been blessed by the priest.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmitry View Post
                Well, this plane needs no deicing before flights in snowy Russian winters, it's been blessed by the priest.
                http://www.avia.ru/photo/aeroflotA32...vich/pano1.jpg
                No wonder the Russian planes are so holy. Gives new meaning to the phrase, "On a wing and a prayer."

Comment

The problem, again, is not so much what is being said but who is saying it.
                  Lufthansa? No problem.
                  Aeroflot? I won't hear the PA because I will never get on one of their planes to begin with.
                  Strange comment from a Pilot. Surely you are aware that the Taxi Driver that takes you and/or your Customers to the Airport is far more dangerous than any Aeroflot Aircraft ever will be?

I've flown in Russia numerous times with Aeroflot and several other Russian Airlines and have never had any concerns. Granted it is obvious they don't take Air Safety quite as seriously as Western Countries but when you think about it why would they? Things on the ground are not safe at all, there are people smoking deadly cigarettes, drinking alcohol excessively, taking illegal Drugs, driving like Madmen, etc etc. Same as everywhere else in the World really, perhaps just a bit more extreme than some other Countries. Point is the chances of being involved in a crash on an Aeroflot flight are extremely small.

With regard to the Snow on the Wing it certainly looks disconcerting but how much time elapses between de-icing and take off? And how much Snow could collect on a wing during this time? If the Aircraft had to hold on taxiway for a few minutes surely it would be normal for Snow to accumulate?

Comment

Originally posted by tsv View Post
                    ............And how much Snow could collect on a wing during this time? If the Aircraft had to hold on taxiway for a few minutes surely it would be normal for Snow to accumulate?
                    Yeah....but not that much ! That has to be pushing 2 inches of snow there !!
                    ...and looking at the clean line on the flaps, that snow had been there for some time with every chance of it being more compact and therefore less likely to blow clear than a fresh covering. The aircraft had gone quite a distance before the snow cleared, they must have been damn close to V1 before it became safely flyable.
                    I'm with Gabriel here....no way I'm going with Aeroflot. Anyway...have you seen what they charge compared to other airlines !!!

tsv said...
                    Surely you are aware that the Taxi Driver that takes you and/or your Customers to the Airport is far more dangerous than any Aeroflot Aircraft ever will be?
                    Possibly...but what scares me is that there is every chance of the same taxi driver being the bloody pilot in Russia. !!!

...and taxi's don't crash at 150 + mph !!
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Strange comment from a Pilot. Surely you are aware that the Taxi Driver that takes you and/or your Customers to the Airport is far more dangerous than any Aeroflot Aircraft ever will be?

I've flown in Russia numerous times with Aeroflot and several other Russian Airlines and have never had any concerns. Granted it is obvious they don't take Air Safety quite as seriously as Western Countries but when you think about it why would they? Things on the ground are not safe at all, there are people smoking deadly cigarettes, drinking alcohol excessively, taking illegal Drugs, driving like Madmen, etc etc. Same as everywhere else in the World really, perhaps just a bit more extreme than some other Countries. Point is the chances of being involved in a crash on an Aeroflot flight are extremely small.
                      pwned.
                      You are right. If I had to go from Moscow to Siberia and had to choose between the taxi driver and Aeroflot, I'd take Aeroflot any day.

With regard to the Snow on the Wing it certainly looks disconcerting but how much time elapses between de-icing and take off? And how much Snow could collect on a wing during this time? If the Aircraft had to hold on taxiway for a few minutes surely it would be normal for Snow to accumulate?
                      This is one thing I am investigating, but couldn't come up with an answer yet.

If the manuals say "no snow before take-off", as reported, then this is a violation even if it accumulated after deicing.
                      I've heard of airplanes that returned for deicing after a long ground hold and of deicing equipment being placed nearer to the hold line to deice the airplanes closer to the take-off (I don't know if the equipment can be simply "moved" there on will or if you have to have an appropriate ground infrastructure (a draining and collection system).

I also want to stress what Brian said about the flaps: The part that is hidden when stowed is completely clean, no flake of snow there (other than a spot of what seems snow that fell from the wing). It could be that they extended the flaps immediately before the video starts? And more incredible, at the beginning of the roll you can see a rectangle of wing that is completely clean. How can you explain that if they took the snow during taxi and ground hold?

Comment

Maybe you remember Air Florida Flight 90?
                        They were de-iced but the snow built up during the taxi resulted in the following crash.
                        “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
                          Maybe you remember Air Florida Flight 90?
                          They were de-iced but the snow built up during the taxi resulted in the following crash.
                          Not only that.

They were badly de-iced. The setting in the ground equipment was wrong do they de-iced the plane mostly with pure water.

Another thing is that they used reversers for push-back, which is thought to have blown snow from the ground into the engine blocking the pressure sensors.

Comment

Not only that.

They were badly de-iced. The setting in the ground equipment was wrong do they de-iced the plane mostly with pure water.

Another thing is that they used reversers for push-back, which is thought to have blown snow from the ground into the engine blocking the pressure sensors.
                            True there were other causes. My Point is that after de-icing (bad or good) the wing still can pick up snow.
                            “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
                              True there were other causes. My Point is that after de-icing (bad or good) the wing still can pick up snow.
                              I wonder what happens in a properly de-iced wing where the anti-ice agent sticks to the surface (it is designed to shed at some 100 kts or so).

Comment

Working...
                              X