No announcement yet.

ANA 787 Emergency Landing in TAK - FAA grounds 787

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm no expert--far from it, but from my nearly 2,000,000 of flying as a passenger experience, ALL commercial aircraft have problems. cracked windshields? happens regularly around the world. not an emergency or quality issue.

it has expereinced some problems though. these according to mercurynews.com

july -- A General Electric Co. engine on a 787 in North Charleston, South Carolina, breaks during a preflight test. The National Transportation Safety Board rules it a "contained" failure, meaning the broken pieces did not exit through the engine wall. GE orders inspections of the engines. The Federal Aviation Administration stops short of grounding planes for inspections.
    (GE's problem not Boeing)

Dec. 4 -- A United Airlines 787 with 184 people aboard is forced to make an emergency landing in New Orleans after experiencing electrical problems.

Dec. 5 -- U.S. regulators say there is a manufacturing fault in 787 fuel lines and advises operators to make extra inspections to guard against engine failures.

Dec. 13 -- Qatar Airways grounds one of its three 787s after finding the same electrical problem that affected the Dec. 4 United flight.

Dec. 17 -- United confirms finding an electrical problem in a second plane in its 787 fleet.

Jan. 7 -- A parked 787 operated by Japan Airlines catches fire at Boston Logan International Airport after a battery in an auxiliary power system explodes.

Jan. 8 -- A second 787 operated by Japan Airlines leaks fuel at Logan, forcing it o cancel its takeoff and return to the gate. The plane departs later.

Following a safety inspection, United finds a wiring problem in the same electrical system that caused the Jan. 7 fire in Boston, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Jan. 9 -- Japan's All Nippon Airways Co cancels a 787 flight scheduled for a domestic trip within Japan due to brake problems.

Jan. 11 -- A cockpit window on an ANA 787 cracks during a Japanese domestic flight. The plane lands safely with no injuries.

A separate ANA 787 springs an oil leak from its left engine, which is discovered after the plane lands safely.
    (GE's problem not Boeing)

Jan. 13 -- The Japan Airlines 787 that leaked fuel in Boston on Jan. 8 experiences another, separate fuel leak while undergoing checks in Tokyo.

Jan. 15 -- A 787 operated by ANA makes an emergency landing at Takamatsu in western Japan after smoke appears in the plane's cockpit.

maybe boeing should not have had the plane manufactured by 4,000,00 different companies in 1,000,000 countries and slap it together in seattle...quality control is real hard to maintain when there are so many people involved in so many different places.

Comment

A german newspaper (>Der Spiegel< again...) quotes the batteries as the primary concern. Li-Ion batteries apparently used for the first time in aviation, quite dangerous with respect to fire (remember the vaio laptops going up in flames...), and hard to replace in the 787 design becaus so many systems are electrically operated and the plane is *very* power hungry...

Comment

Didn't old Learjets used to have lithium batteries that exploded? I thought I heard about that some time ago.
        AD.com apocalypse survivor. 727 Fan.

Comment

So if it was due to batteries, how long till the 787s can get up back in the air for Japan. And also won't the subsequent 787s like LOT and Qatar, also suffer soon from the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiecker View Post
            ANA to Ground All Dreamliners in Fleet After Series of Glitches - NHK
            A glitch is when a hostee call button doesn't work. This seems a tad more serious.

Comment

FAA Grounds ALL 787's .

RT @MattSoleyn: #Breaking - #FAA: All U.S. Airlines ordered to ground the #Boeing 787 indefinitely. $BA #finance

Gabriel tell me more about the 747...

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiecker View Post
                FAA Grounds ALL 787's .

RT @MattSoleyn: #Breaking - #FAA: All U.S. Airlines ordered to ground the #Boeing 787 indefinitely. $BA #finance

Gabriel tell me more about the 747...
                Holy shimoly! That's some serious shiznit.

Comment

787 GROUNDED by the FAA

Sorry charlie, ( Gabriel) I guess its not the Airbus boys. Its just common sense.

Last edited by TheKiecker; 2013-01-16, 23:25. Reason: linky

Comment

I cant believe Airbus would do this to Boeing !!!

Comment

Okay, I admit there is an important issue to be fixed there (I had done it in the past too, saying that, among all the incidents, the electrical system was critical thing).

But is there a necessity to call my name and put happy, LOLing and dancing emoticons? I can't imagine you happiness if a 787 crashes in downtown Manhattan killing 1000 souls.

And, for the record, I've never been part in the "Airbus fanboys vs Scarebus" discussion. Ok?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                        Okay, I admit there is an important issue to be fixed there (I had done it in the past too, saying that, among all the incidents, the electrical system was critical thing).

But is there a necessity to call my name and put happy, LOLing and dancing emoticons? I can't imagine you happiness if a 787 crashes in downtown Manhattan killing 1000 souls.

And, for the record, I've never been part in the "Airbus fanboys vs Scarebus" discussion. Ok?
                        I agree it's over the top Gabriel. A few weeks ago I questioned the precautionary landing of a 787 in New Orleans. I think I was correct in questioning it, but it has certainly shown in the following events that there have been a number of serious issues with this aircraft. I believe, like you, that the 787 is probably a good airplane, and will end up being shown to be so, but right now there are some very serious questions about its systems that need to be resolved.

3WE, I apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post

Jan 16 2013 : Gabriel admits he MIGHT be wrong..

Comment

Originally posted by Deadstick View Post
                            3WE, I apologize.
                            No need- I'm always playing devil's advocate- and took 1/2 of your statement- when you did lay out "both sides" in your full post.

Gosh, I forgot about that incident...yeah, something electrical and a moderately prompt precautionary landing...

I'm also thinking of Brian W's post about how getting someone to the emergency room in 6 min, but they die is a success because you met your goals...

Too many business grads who spewing 'agressive feel good goals and processes' while running over math and valid concerns?

The timeline is everything...proper 'construction' is secondary.
                            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

"Before further flight, operators of U.S.-registered, Boeing 787 aircraft must demonstrate to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) that the batteries are safe."

Shouldn't this had been part of the certification process? What happened to proper regulation? At least someone at the FAA had the balls to take action. Not saying this is necessarily a serious safety issue, but just in case. It's much better than having one crash "in downtown Manhattan". I certainly wouldn't like that, even though I do admire Airbus.
                              I guess at this point no one really knows anything. There are rumors circulating about a known issue with the Li-ion batteries on the 787, which was played down. Credible or not, it does seem possible the issues with the 787 are stemming from the business side. The plane was three years and the pressure must have been tremendous. This could have led to cutting a few corners. Are we going to see a an exec or two take responsibility for this?

Comment

As already mentioned, mismanaged and underfunded programme. Airplane itself is very promising, I think they have to go back a step and swap the Li-Ion batteries for something
                                else.
                                The producer of the batteries which happens to be japanese had a fire caused by the same kind of batteries which led to a building burning down,
                                A grounding order by the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) moves the Boeing 787 programme into territory uncharted for a modern airliner as long as a recently discovered "battery fire risk" remains unsolved.
                                "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

Working...
                                X