Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenn Borek DC-3T Antarctica Crash (C-FMKB)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenn Borek DC-3T Antarctica Crash (C-FMKB)

I thought that there may be some who would be interested in these images of the Kenn Borek DC-3T crash in Antarctica. The e-mail has been floating around this area for a couple of months. Pictures were taken by a passenger on the plane.

* The amazing thing is that they fixed this aircraft and it flew back to Calgary. (I was in Calgary last week but I couldn't see it outside the Kenn Borek hangers, which was pretty much as expected.)
    * It took them almost a month to finish the repairs sufficient to get it flying again.
    * They had to shovel out snow with a volume the size of a living room each day. (Chain saw to cut it into blocks, etc.)
    * Amazing repair work under incredibly difficult conditions.
    * A few more days and it would have remained there with all of the other aircraft that will never leave Antarctica on their own power again.

Subject: Borek DC-3T Accident in Antartica - Dec 19, 2007

CADORS Number: 2007C3509 Reporting Region: Prairie & Northern

Occurrence InformationOccurrence Type: Accident Occurrence Date: 2007/12/19
    Occurrence Time: 0900 Z Day Or Night: night-time
    Fatalities: 0 Injuries: 0

Canadian Aerodrome ID: Aerodrome Name:
    Occurrence Location: Anartica South 78.184N (Note that this location is not in Antarctica - should read South) 114.58W Province:

Reported By: NAV CANADA AOR Number:
    TSB Class Of Investigation: TSB Occurrence No.:
    Event InformationCollision with terrain
    Aircraft InformationFlight #:
    Aircraft Category: Aeroplane Country of Registration: CANADA
    Make: DOUGLAS Model: DC3CS1C3G
    Year Built: 1942 Amateur Built: No
    Engine Make: PRATT & WHITNEY-CAN Engine Model: PT6A-67R
    Engine Type: Turbo prop Gear Type: Land
    Phase of Flight: Takeoff Damage: Substantial
    Owner: KENN BOREK AIR LTD Operator: KENN BOREK AIR (2273)
    Operator Type: Commercial

Detail InformationUser Name: Beauchamp, Carol
    Date: 2007/12/19
    Further Action Required: No
    O.P.I.: System Safety
    Narrative: On take-off, aircraft collided with drifted snow and ice and sustained major damages. Four crew and six passengers were on-board. No injuries. Minister's Observer has been appointed. Further information to follow.
    Additional information here (Avcanada):

And if you want to see the rescue of a completely snowbound Hercules LC-130 you can find that here:
    Terry
    Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
    How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Whats this red spot on the snow in front of the aircraft? Is it blood or hydraulic fluid?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by tynopeb
        Whats this red spot on the snow in front of the aircraft? Is it blood or hydraulic fluid?
        If any blood was spilled, it was on the inside of the plane, not the outside. Sounds like everyone didn't end up too bad after the incident.

Basically what happened is, as the plane went to take off and we reached flying speed, one side of the plane went up and the other didn't. The left wing got caught in the ice and sent the plane tumbling. My seat came unbolted from the floor with me still strapped into the seatbelt. When we finally came to a halt, we were all in big pile in the corner of the plane with all of the equipment. We got shaken up pretty bad, but there were no major injuries other than some minor cuts and bruises. We are all doing well and thankful the crash wasn't any worse. The plane, however, did not fair so well. The wings, props, and tail all got bent up pretty bad. The landing gear, skis, and hydraulic system (the red stain in the pictures below is hydraulic fluid) all were ripped from the plane and strewn about the ice.
        From here:
        Hello everyone, As some of you know, I was involved in a little incident with the Basler (a DC-3 twin engine turbo prop airplane) on our mos...
        Terry
        Lurking at JP since the BA 777 at Heathrow and AD lost responsiveness to the throttles.
        How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth? Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Lucky crash. Glad everyone walked away.

Comment

I read an article about this plane. Interesting to see it not-so-nice shape....hope to see it flying again.
            My Flickr Pictures! Click Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cam
              I read an article about this plane. Interesting to see it not-so-nice shape....hope to see it flying again.
              It actually flew back to Calgary on it's own power - after significant field repairs to the landing gear, propellers, and other systems.

If I hear it's completely repaired and fully operational again, I'll provide an update.
              Terry

Comment

Working...
              X