New Microsoft FLIGHT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    ...And to make the nose go up when you pull and down when you push (as it is NORMAL in every airplane, real or simulated), you have to select the option "Reverse Joystick Y axis"...
    Excellent!

It should be very easy for Airbus engineers to add the "real equivalent" to their aircraft so that the MS-Flight generation might operate Airbusses without nose diving into the ground when they want to pull up and stalling when they need to nose over.

...and while you did not specifically mention clouds, I can infer that they look even better than before!

Wow, definately time to consider a Mac (or Xplane).
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

On the other hand...

Flight Simulator is a pretty crummy game...

...think about it...
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

They really killed it by trying to make this appeal to, well, people who don't care much about flying or aren't interested in any sort of realism.

FSX was pretty good but required installing loads of add ons and 3rd party tweaks to get it looking good and working best. Having done a reformat of my hard drive a while ago I just cannot be hassled to go through with installing hours and hours and gigs upon gigs of add on scenery and Real Environment Extreme all over again.

It's sad that this franchise has come to such a lackluster conclusion.

Comment

Well....having read all that and had a try with it all I can say is that it's a damn good thing....a damn good thing that is that it's free !

I certainly wouldn't part with money for it.

I'll stick with my FSX thanks very much.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I won't discard it yet.
            I'll give Microsoft the benefit of making all us wrong, and that in a few monthes they come with real planes, real sceneries and third party friendship. If that doesn't happen (which I think it's a definite possibility), then I'll discard it.
            About paying, well, megaupload is finished, but...

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I must congratulate the people at Icon.
              I think they are the ones that come best out of this.

Millions of people trying FLIGHT for free and forced to make at least two flights with the A5.

And you know what? It's a lot of fun. And the plane has a lot of appeal.
              It's a mixture between a jet-ski, a sport car, and a plane.
              Every rich guy will want one.

I, to begin with, do. (except I'm not rich so I don't count).

And even more after visiting the Icon web site.

What this guys did with the plane is pretty amazing (or what they say they did).

Let's compare it with my beloved Tomahawk.
              7 knots less of stall speed (42 vs 49)
              12 HP less (100 vs 112)
              10 knots faster cruise (100 vs 90)
              While burning less fuel.
              And all that with a seaplane, which ads more weight and aerodynamic drag, and being retractable, which ads even more weight.
              Plus, they put an angle-of-attack indicator, and you know how much I have been advocating for that.
              And on top of all that, they made the first plane ever that is fully spin resistant to FAR 23 standards (while they didn't need to do that because the plane will not be certified under the FAA-mandated FAR 23 but under the industry-consensus ASTM standards required for the sport light airplane -SLA- category).
              And if it flies anywhere near the handling qualities of its virtual FLIGHT version, it will be a delight to fly, especially for the non-puristic stick-and-rudder pilot.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                ...Plus, they put an angle-of-attack indicator, and you know how much I have been advocating for that...
                The Colgan crash was caused by a faiure to monitor speed due to inattention or some other distraction...and you want pilots to monitor one more thing?

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                  The Colgan crash was caused by a faiure to monitor speed due to inattention or some other distraction...and you want pilots to monitor one more thing?

No. They removed the VSI to cpmensate.

Comment

Maybe, just maybe, things will not be that bad (if you wait enough and pay enough)

FINALLY, I can talk about Flight. I’ve been in the beta for the last few months, and I think it’s time to disclose a few home truths about the beta and the community. EDIT: Coming from …

... The default flight model with all the “assits” turned on is actually far more unforgiving than the “easy” flight model in Flight Simulator X. Turn off the assists, and the commentary coming from real-world pilots in the beta suggests that the aircraft actually fly closer to reality than the base content ever did in FSX. I’ve seen particularly good comments about the RV6 from pilots who actually own and fly one ...

... Yes, there is a bar up the top that by default shows you the heading, airspeed, throttle setting, wind speed and direction, altitude and fuel quantity. Yes, you can turn it off if you want...

... You can fly entirely on instruments without referring to that bar at the top, it isn’t a problem. VOR, NDB and ILS stations are in the game, you can set the radio to lock onto them, and there are cockpit instruments that fuction the same as in FSX...
                    Note the navigation avionics:

Note the nav-aids on the map (that I could not find):

Comment

Show me a sun-faded and cracked cheap composite decorative instrument panel cover like off of a 1970-something 172....

Do I see a little cowling extending out in front of the windshield?

How is the balance between a full instrument panel & controls versus a good look out the window? (I noted FSX has IFR and VFR modes which equates to minimal vs significant windshield combined with a full vs a little bit limited panel )

Comment

I'm gonna give this a shot tonight and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                          Do I see a little cowling extending out in front of the windshield?

How is the balance between a full instrument panel & controls versus a good look out the window? (I noted FSX has IFR and VFR modes which equates to minimal vs significant windshield combined with a full vs a little bit limited panel )
                          One thing that I can report that is a big improvement is the let's call it view management.

With the hat switch you rotate your head like a swivel, very smoothly and controllable. Displacing the mouse with the center button (wheel) pressed you displace your head up and down and left and right. So you can actually stretch to look over the panel (and see the full cowling) or move your had to the side to taxi a taildragger.

And with backspace, the head return to the center (both linearly and angulary), so you never become disoriented.

Comment

Well, downloaded it and tried it. Not impressed at all. My machine runs FSX well but for Flight I had to turn everything down. It may well develop over time but I rather think it's going to wind up costing a lot of money for a programme that's nothing more than a game.
                            If you are a serious flight simmer then this is not the software for you.
                            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I think it's crap.

Will stick to fs2004. Nothing beats it

Comment

Originally posted by yash777 View Post
                                I think it's crap.

Will stick to fs2004. Nothing beats it
                                Hey, at least in X when you dial in stratus at 200 ft AGL you don't see the damn rabbit and runway 2 miles out......

Comment

Working...
                                X