View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #11
Leftseat86

Send a message via AIM to Leftseat86 Send a message via MSN to Leftseat86 Send a message via Yahoo to Leftseat86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
I hope it was not intentional, but rather a "oh shit" moment.

If it was intentional (or if I learn if from YouTube), in my airline (if it existed) they would be fired no questions asked.

If it was a mistake (say that they were through 500ft and one say "500ft, stabilized appr... oh shit, the gear is up", or that they are made aware by a "landing gear" warning), then they would get seriously questioned about why they lowered the gear instead of going around, and maybe (and I've said maybe) get another chance after additional corrective (and punitive) training.

Honest mistakes are one thing. Stupid mistakes are another. While forgeting to lower the landing gear and failing to detect that fact in the landing checklist can be a honest mistake, deciding to lower it so low cannot: they would know that they were doing something wrong. Noticing too low that the gear is up and deciding to lower it instead of going around is somewhere in the middle.
It appears to be an intentional move here given they are coming in faster than normal and the flaps aren't down all the way, and that they continue the approach to landing after lowering the gear. If it was a mistake I think they would have gone around. The runway is 13,000 ft long and the FedEx ramp happens to be at its far end.
Leftseat86 is offline   Reply With Quote