VOR classes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VOR classes.

How do you determine what class a VOR is? The ranges are different for each one. I know there's terminal, Low Altitude, and High altitude but how do you tell the difference?

Terminal VORs are good for 25nm at alts of 1,000 to 12,000 Low alt VOR are good for 40nm at 1,000 to 18,000, High Alt at 40nm good 1,000-14,500, 100nm 14,500-60,000 and 130nm 18,000 - 45,000. The way to identify this is the letters T, L, and H appear infront of the station type.. TVOR, HVORTAC etc..

AIM 1-1-8

Comment

Thanks for the info, but I don't see any of those designators on the sectional, so they either aren't printed on it or I'm missing something.

Comment

Have you looked at a IFR enroute chart? I do not have one handy so I can not look at that.. Other than that the AIM is not helpful at identifying them.. I guess you could say that the VORs used in the Victor airways are L, H is in the J airways as for the terminal vor uh I am not sure... I'll ask my instructor and get back to you

Comment

Have a look at the Jeppesen Enroute Charts.
          On the Low, and High/Low enroute charts, the VOR info is in a little box.

On the top is the name, in the middle is the VOR frequency and code and below that is the Morse Ident. At the very bottom is the lat/long.

On the left hand side, there is space for 2 letters. If you see a D, it means DME.
          Then in () they have T, L or H. So (L) for Low Altitude etc.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Yeah JDizzle, I think you're freaking out wayyyyy too much about this oral. I HIGHLY doubt he'll ask you what type of VOR it is. That's something I was asked on my Instrument Oral the other day...

Comment

Why not like call your instructor? Isn't that why you empty your bank account every week on for him?
              Tanner Johnson - Owner
              twenty53 Photography

Comment

I found it in the A/FD. I couldn't find it for VOR's that are out in the middle of nowhere, but I guess it won't be too much of an issue.

Comment

I've never even heard of this. The only thing I've learned for VOR's is triangulation to find where you are if you get lost, other than that, my insturctor didn't say much more about them, and I already knew the general ideas, airways, etc, but that's more for instrument. My instructor went over the PTS with me and said that for the oral, I just have to be able to talk about regs, chart nav, planning, airspace, weight and balance, etc. I'll hopefully be taking mine in the not too distant future if all goes well and I get over the constant feeling that I get that I'm going to fuck up on some random thing.

Comment

Okay Mr. 93% PPL Written, I don't think we need to know about this yet. I have never even heard of this in almost a year of attending groundschool classes. Nor have I seen in the ASA or the Gleim.

All we need to know for the Private about VORs is how to navigate through one, set the course, identify the morse, be able to determine if it has DME or not, use them to detirmine our location, ect.

Don't scare me like this, lol.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
                      Okay Mr. 93% PPL Written, I don't think we need to know about this yet. I have never even heard of this in almost a year of attending groundschool classes. Nor have I seen in the ASA or the Gleim.

All we need to know for the Private about VORs is how to navigate through one, set the course, identify the morse, be able to determine if it has DME or not, use them to detirmine our location, ect.

Don't scare me like this, lol.
                      90%, but it's just one less correct question.
                      Personally I think it's entirely possible the examiner would ask what the range of a VOR is. For example the VOR at KLOU is a terminal VOR, so I wouldn't be able to use that if I was flying all the way from Sportys or someplace. I figured the examiner wouldn't like it if i planned to fly to a VOR that was way out of range.

Comment

Working...
                      X